[comp.sys.mac.apps] Installing Excel 3.0 in system 6.0.x -- problems

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (06/05/91)

Does anyone know how to fix the following problem?  Upon trying to install
Excel 3.0 on a Mac II, I get the following error when the Utilities 1 disk
is inserted.:    File System Error
                 Unable to Continue Operation

(-36)  <---- note this number in the lower left corner of the dialog box.

Is the disk bad or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, I'm not the owner of the package, only trying to help.

  Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

ryan@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Ryan R. Ramsey) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.235145.16602@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>Does anyone know how to fix the following problem?  Upon trying to install
>Excel 3.0 on a Mac II, I get the following error when the Utilities 1 disk
>is inserted.:    File System Error
>                 Unable to Continue Operation

I had the same problem, it dumps when its starts installing Solver right? From
what I got from the people at Microsoft, Solver is only usable on system 7.0.
but stupidly enough, the installer can't figure that out for itself.

If you are installing on a 6.0x system, just eliminate the installation of
the Solver files and you should be OK.

 /                                                                  /|
+----------------+-------------------------------------------------+ |
| Ryan R. Ramsey | U.C.L.A. Computer Science Department.           | |
+----------------+----------------------------+--------------------+ |
| ryan@CS.UCLA.EDU                            | "Beauty is only a  | |
+---------------------------------------------+--------------------+

val@mdf.mitre.org (Colin Valentine) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.004202.10364@cs.ucla.edu> ryan@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Ryan
R. Ramsey) writes:
> I had the same problem, it dumps when its starts installing Solver
right? From
> what I got from the people at Microsoft, Solver is only usable on system
7.0.
> but stupidly enough, the installer can't figure that out for itself.
>
> If you are installing on a 6.0x system, just eliminate the installation
of
> the Solver files and you should be OK.

I have installed Excel 3.0 with solver on a IIci with System 6.0.5 with
_no_ hitches.  I just tried selecting sovlver,  and was able to get the
solver dialog box with no problem.  Now, all I have to do is figure how to
use it...

Call Microsoft again.

Colin Valentine
val@mdf.mitre.org

Disclaimer:  Speaking for myself, as always.

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.004202.10364@cs.ucla.edu> ryan@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Ryan R. Ramsey) writes:

>I had the same problem, it dumps when its starts installing Solver right? From
>what I got from the people at Microsoft, Solver is only usable on system 7.0.
>but stupidly enough, the installer can't figure that out for itself.

Really? I installed Solver on a Mac Plus under 6.07 without any
problem (but of course I haven't tried it yet...
--
Andreas J. Guelzow                       <guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Department of Mathematics & Astronomy        University of Manitoba

rwcarter@brahms.udel.edu (Richard Carter) (06/07/91)

Hi,

  I recently bought Excel 3.0 and have it currently installed on my
MacPlus with 4 Mb RAM and running System 6.0.4.  It installed fine and I
used Solver with no problems thus far.

Rick  (rwcarter@brahms.udel.edu)

benw@microsoft.UUCP (Ben WALDMAN) (06/12/91)

>>I had the same problem, it dumps when its starts installing Solver right? From
>>what I got from the people at Microsoft, Solver is only usable on system 7.0.
>>but stupidly enough, the installer can't figure that out for itself.
>>
>Really? I installed Solver on a Mac Plus under 6.07 without any
>problem (but of course I haven't tried it yet...

Solver works fine (and is fully functional) under both 6.0 and 7.0.

Ben Waldman
Excel Development Team
Microsoft

Disclaimer:  My opinions and comments are my own and do not in any way
reflect those of my employer