[comp.sys.mac.apps] Running 6.0 and 7.0 on the same HD

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (06/11/91)

In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
one HD and switch between them?   Thanks,

                                                            Kurt
:: Kurt Tappe          (215) 363-9485 :: With.   Without.   And who'll ::
:: 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.     (home)  :: deny it's what the fighting's ||
:: Malvern, PA 19355-2214    458-5000 || all about?    -  Pink Floyd   ::
::                            (work)   --------------------------------||
::  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet     jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu     QLink: KurtTappe  ||

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/11/91)

In article <91161.193911JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
>one HD and switch between them?   Thanks,

This appears to be the latest burgeoning utility zone; there have been
roughly half-a-dozen utilities released to do this since 7.0 appeared.
Look for SwitchBoot 1.1 (an INIT), SystemPicker (application),
SystemSwitcher (application), Blesser 1.1 (older app that has been
around for a while), and a couple of others.  All seem to work
well--SwitchBoot gets my vote because it runs at boot time, when I am
most likely to decide which system I want to run today/this hour.

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (06/11/91)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
> one HD and switch between them?   Thanks,

System Picker allows you to choose the System Folder that will be "blessed"
upon restart. It is writeen by Kevin Aitken of Apple Computer.

It should be at ftp.apple.com and sumex.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

jsf@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Joann Furse) (06/11/91)

In article <91161.193911JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>,
JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
> In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
> one HD and switch between them?   Thanks, Kurt

There's a utility called System Picker which is available from
the umich archives.

If you want to get it from there, you'll find it listed as
ut/syspick.

Joann Furse

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (06/12/91)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>In article <91161.193911JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes
>>In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
>>one HD and switch between them?   Thanks,

>This appears to be the latest burgeoning utility zone; there have been
>roughly half-a-dozen utilities released to do this since 7.0 appeared.
>Look for SwitchBoot 1.1 (an INIT), SystemPicker (application),
>SystemSwitcher (application), Blesser 1.1 (older app that has been
>around for a while), and a couple of others.  All seem to work
>well--SwitchBoot gets my vote because it runs at boot time, when I am
>most likely to decide which system I want to run today/this hour.

How about a system where, depending on whether you hold down the option key
during a boot, you can select between two separate hard partitions to boot from?
It does exist, it is called SCSI-Power, and it is available.

The SCSI-Power Utilities package consists of several components to
help to to get the most out of your hard disk.

SCSI-Power features:
*   Allows the creation of any number of partitions on a SCSI disk.
*   Partitions can be mounted using a desk accessory or an FKEY.
*   Partitions can be protected with a password. Every partition can
    have its own password. A "Super User" password is possible as
    well.
*   The SCSI Power Utilities package uses one of the fastest drivers
    on the market.
*   Compatibility with almost every "normal" SCSI hard disk and
    every Macintosh computer. All hard disks employed in products
    of Apple Computer Inc. are supported, as well as a lot of other
    brands. See current list below. New disks are added when we
    receive them.
*   The driver supports disk drives with removable media, such as
    the Syquest* SQ555 or the SONY magneto-optical 600Mb mechanism.
    Cartridges can be partitioned and password protected.
*   User selectable interleave factor when formatting disk. Software
    suggests optimal setting for most disk/Macintosh combinations.
*   Allows to update the driver without losing any data on the disk.
*   Even the startup volume may have a password. This prevents
    unauthorized access to your computer.
*   Every partition has its own set of user-controllable options.
*   There is also a set of options at the drive level. These options
    may override the partitionUs options.
*   Performs media verification for finding bad blocks, and allows remapping.
*   Supports partitioning for A/UX 1.0 and 2.0

Currently supported drive mechanisms:

Atari SH204
CDC Wren III            Miniscribe M3180S            Seagate ST125N
CDC Wren III HH         Miniscribe M8425             Seagate ST138N
CDC Wren III HH         Miniscribe M9380S            Seagate ST157N
CDC Wren IV             Newbury 3380S                Seagate ST177N
CDC Wren V              Newbury 4380S                Seagate ST225N
CDC Wren V HH           Quantum P40S                 Seagate ST251N
CDC Wren VI             Quantum P80S                 Seagate ST277N
CDC Wren VI HH          Quantum P105S                Seagate ST277N-1
CDC Wren VII            Quantum Q250                 Seagate ST296N
Conner CP3045           Quantum Q280                 Seagate ST1096N
Emulex MD21             Rodime RO632                 Sony SMO-C501
Fuji FK308S             Rodime RO652                 Sony SRD2040
Hitachi DK312C          Rodime RO3000T               SyQuest SQ555
Hitachi DK515C          Rodime RO5000S
Quantum PD120		Quantum PD170		     Quantum PD210
Maxtor 200		and more

Price per copy Dfl 167.95. Dutch customers add 18.5 % VAT
(price including VAT Dfl 199.00).
Shipping / handling:
Netherlands                     Dfl     5.00
Belgium, Luxemburg              Dfl     7.50
Other European countries        Dfl     10.00
Other countries, including USA  Dfl     15.00

Prices shown for 1 through 5 copies. All prices in Dutch Guilders.
Quantity discounts and site license available. Write for information.

Exchange rates change every day. For informational purposes only, we
give some approximate prices (excl shipping/handling):
US Dollar       $ 90            Cdn Dollar      $105
GB Pound        # 50            D Mark          DM 146
Fr Franc        FF 480

Important notice:
SCSI-Power* currently only exists in beta version. Customers who buy now
will get the release version and the manual free of charge when available.
Current beta version is 0.9.9 and we expect 1.0 before about october 1991.

SCSI-Power* Order Form
To order your copy of SCSI-Power* Utilities complete this form and send to:
M.J. Carels, De Lairessestraat 58-3, 1071 PD  Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Name: _____________________________________________________________________

Address: __________________________________________________________________

Zip code:_______________ City: ____________________________________________

Country: __________________________________________________________________

I order _________ copies of SCSI-Power* Utilities for  Dfl 167.95.
Dutch custumers add 18.5 % VAT (price including VAT Dfl 199.00 per copy)

                                                Dfl ________________
Shipping / handling                             Dfl ________________

Total amount due:                               Dfl ________________

Payment:
O  Charge my      O Visa         (Sorry, no Mastercard/Eurocard/Access yet)

   Number ________ ________ ________ ________ Exp date ____________

   Signature _________________________

O  I transferred the total amount to your bank account
   (account number 89.70.38.649 VSB, Amsterdam)

O  International money order enclosed
   (please add an extra Dfl 10 for handling charges)

O  C.O.D (remboursement)
   (extra handling charges Dfl ??)

DISCLAIMER:
Although we work for the University of Amsterdam, this software is in no way
related to the university. This is our private enterprise.
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (06/12/91)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>In short, what is the utility that lets you have them both on
>one HD and switch between them?   Thanks,

Yes, there are many utilities to do this (other netters have
already answered this part), but beware........

A switch to Sys 7 causes your HD Desktop to be automatically
rebuilt.  Apple recommends that when you switch back to Sys 6,
you must/should rebuild your desktop manually.  A bit of a
pain.

Actually, we have a system set up with Sys 7 on one disk and Sys 6
on another.  The users can then boot from whichever they like.  I
have seen no problems and have NOT been rebuilding the desktop
between cycles.
--
= Enjoy!                                                                   =
=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =