[comp.sys.mac.apps] Shorter menu items in MS Word

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (06/11/91)

Where are the menu resources located in MS Word, and how can I use resedit
to shorten them so more will fit on the menu bar.

  Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

rolfl@hedda.uio.no (Rolf Lindgren) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.194651.2148@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>   Where are the menu resources located in MS Word, and how can I use resedit
>   to shorten them so more will fit on the menu bar.
>
>   --
>   -------------------------------------------------------------
>     Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
>   -------------------------------------------------------------
>   Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

ResEdit?   You don't want to use ResEdit.  There's a command in the file
menu (under long menus) called command that lets you customize menus.

Rolf Lindgren		| 	"The opinions expressed above are
616 Bjerke Studentheim	|  	 not necessarily those of anyone"
N-0589 OSLO 5		|             rolfl@hedda.uio.no

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (06/12/91)

In <ROLFL.91Jun11092440@hedda.uio.no>, rolfl@hedda.uio.no (Rolf Lindgren)
writes:

>In article <1991Jun10.194651.2148@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu
>(Robert Cook) writes:
>>   Where are the menu resources located in MS Word, and how can I use resedit
>>   to shorten them so more will fit on the menu bar.
>>
>ResEdit?   You don't want to use ResEdit.  There's a command in the file
>menu (under long menus) called command that lets you customize menus.

You CAN'T use ResEdit. Microsoft decided not to keep their menus in MENU
resources. Maybe the titles could be in a 'STR ' or 'STR#' resource some
place, but I couldn't find them. Perhaps Robert, you can search through
the resources and find them. I, too, would like to make room for the
clock, WordFinder, Tempo II and the Multifinder icon. If there is a way to
change them to things like Util, Doc, Fmt, Win, etc., I haven't found it. The
Commands... item lets you add and remove items to/from the menus, but I
can't see how to modify the menu bar. Drat.

I have suggested this sort of ability to modify the menu bar to Microsoft.
Cross your fingers.

>Rolf Lindgren          |       "The opinions expressed above are
>616 Bjerke Studentheim |        not necessarily those of anyone"
>N-0589 OSLO 5          |             rolfl@hedda.uio.no

--Lyle

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON