[comp.sys.mac.apps] Purpose of Backgrounder ??

dekker_j@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz (06/10/91)

What is the function of Backgrounder. I notice that neither the system or
Laserwriter installers load it. I use a Mac IIci and have a Personal
Laserwriter NT. I notice no difference in backround printing with or without it
installed in my system folder.

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.184322.4196@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz>, dekker_j@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz writes:
> What is the function of Backgrounder. I notice that neither the system or
> Laserwriter installers load it. I use a Mac IIci and have a Personal
> Laserwriter NT. I notice no difference in backround printing with or without it
> installed in my system folder.

With Multi-finder ON, you can choose (through the chooser !) to have
background printing - if backgrounder is installed.  Print times are
similar but your Mac is not tied up while the print is inprogress.

Well that how I understand it :-)  BTW only works with Laser writers.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

vossron@Apple.COM (Ronald N. Voss) (06/13/91)

dekker_j@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz writes:

>What is the function of Backgrounder. I notice that neither the system or
>Laserwriter installers load it. I use a Mac IIci and have a Personal
>Laserwriter NT. I notice no difference in backround printing with or without it
>installed in my system folder.

In system 6.0.x and earlier, Backgrounder sniffs the Spool Folder, and, upon
finding a spool file, launches PrintMonitor to print it.  MultiFinder must be
on, but Finder need not be.

In system 7.0, Backgrounder's function has been moved to the Finder, which is
always running (ya, ya, I know).  Backgrounder is present on the 7.0 disks to
be loaded (along with PrintMonitor and the drivers) onto 6.0.x systems (x >=
5, I believe) to prevent LaserWars between system 6 and 7.

De nada,
Ron

--
Ron Voss          Apple Computer         I speak only for myself.