[comp.sys.mac.apps] Write Now 2.2, Wordmaster DA and System 7

eb@lucid.com (Eric Benson) (06/12/91)

I upgraded to System 7.0 this week and received my upgrade to Write
Now 2.2 from T/Maker a day later.  The installation went fine, except
that WMInstall didn't work because it couldn't find a System file to
its liking.  So, I just opened the DA suitcase and moved the DA to the
Apple Menu Folder, System-7-style.  However, Wordmaster doesn't work
at all.  When I try to start it, it complains that this version of
Wordmaster only works with Write Now.  But I am using it with Write
Now.  I guess this has something to do with DAs running in their own
layer.  Since it isn't in the same layer as Write Now it gets unhappy.
This is just a guess, though.  Has anyone else observed this?  Is
T/Maker distributing a fix?  Is there an easy workaround?

eb@lucid.com 	           	 	Eric Benson
415/329-8400 x5523                      Lucid, Inc.
Telex 3791739 LUCID                     707 Laurel Street
Fax 415/329-8480                        Menlo Park, CA 94025

eb@lucid.com (Eric Benson) (06/13/91)

Thanks for all the replies!  As suggested by most respondents, using
the Font/DA mover to install Wordmaster directly into Write Now by
option-clicking on Open, worked like a charm.

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (06/14/91)

eb@lucid.com (Eric Benson) writes:

> [...]
> Apple Menu Folder, System-7-style.  However, Wordmaster doesn't work
> at all.  When I try to start it, it complains that this version of
> Wordmaster only works with Write Now.  But I am using it with Write
> Now.  I guess this has something to do with DAs running in their own
> layer.  Since it isn't in the same layer as Write Now it gets unhappy.
> This is just a guess, though.  Has anyone else observed this?  Is
> T/Maker distributing a fix?  Is there an easy workaround?

There really isn't anything to fix, so T/Maker has nothing to distribute.
There is a work around for 7.0 (and 6.0.x users running MultiFinder), tho.
That is, use Font/DA Mover and install the Wordmaster DA in the WriteNow
application itself. By doing this, the Wordmaster DA is opened in the
WriteNow layer like it wants.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta