[comp.sys.mac.apps] Tempo

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (06/06/91)

Who makes Tempo, and do you have a phone number where I can reach them?
We are looking for a replacment to MacroMaker under system 7, and I would
like to take a look at Tempo (I have alreadt done so for QuickKeys).

Thank you,
Jason
jblue@mwunix.mitre.org

m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus) (06/07/91)

--In article <1991Jun6.131643.14930@linus.mitre.org>, jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:
>Who makes Tempo, and do you have a phone number where I can reach them?
>We are looking for a replacment to MacroMaker under system 7, and I would
>like to take a look at Tempo (I have alreadt done so for QuickKeys).

Your best bet is to look at QuickKeys again!  Tempo does not work with system
7.  I talked to them on June 3 and they said they would have an update in about
a month.  They are charging $10 for the upgrade regardless of when you purchased
the product.  I mention this because they have contracted a firm call Hi-Tech
to sell Tempo and system 7 as a package, even though they don't work as a
package!  I think they are using some pretty poor tactics to dump they
remaining stock on users.  When I called Affinity to tell them what I
thought of their marketing tactics Rich (the president) said it was unfortunate
I felt the way I did (about the upgrade policy and the way the new package is
being marketed) but thats the only way a small company could do business.

If you're interested I'll sell you my copy of Tempo and purchase QuickKeys!

Mario

     I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K3 ] |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation   |
Customer Support Center         | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.            |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919      | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus

(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520       | - or - CSC32::M_HERODOTUS
[direct line (719) 592-5520]    |

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (06/12/91)

In <3310@shodha.enet.dec.com>, m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus)
writes:

>--In article <1991Jun6.131643.14930@linus.mitre.org>, jblue@mwunix.mitre.org
>(Jason D. Blue) writes:
>>Who makes Tempo, and do you have a phone number where I can reach them?

Mario didn't bother to mention:

Affinity Microsystems, Ltd.
1050 Walnut Street, Suite 425
Boulder, CO 80302
[303] 442-4840

>>We are looking for a replacment to MacroMaker under system 7, and I would
>>like to take a look at Tempo (I have already done so for QuickKeys).
>
>Your best bet is to look at QuickKeys again!  Tempo does not work with system
>7.  I talked to them on June 3 and they said they would have an update in about
>a month.  They are charging $10 for the upgrade regardless of when you
>purchased
>the product.  I mention this because they have contracted a firm call Hi-Tech
>to sell Tempo and system 7 as a package, even though they don't work as a
>package!  I think they are using some pretty poor tactics to dump their
>remaining stock on users.  When I called Affinity to tell them what I
>thought of their marketing tactics Rich (the president) said it was unfortunate

Along a similar vein, I bought a keyboard made by Key Tronic (a wonderful
keyboard, by the way!) that came with a coupon to send in for Tempo II. This
is not and was not the latest version, Tempo II plus. So I guess they were,
in a sense, "dumping" their old versions. The fact is, though, that I like
Tempo II very much, and am overjoyed to learn from you that I will be able to
upgrade for a mere sawbuck.

>I felt the way I did (about the upgrade policy and the way the new package is
>being marketed) but thats the only way a small company could do business.

Yes, it must be a small company. You got the attention of the president,
didn't you? (Try that with CE Software!) My experience has been that they
are very supportive of their users.

>If you're interested I'll sell you my copy of Tempo and purchase QuickKeys!
>
>Mario

My advice to you, Jason, is to take Mario up on his offer. I tried a demo
version of Quickeys^2 and liked it, but like Tempo II just as much. And
Tempo II plus is a vast improvement over Tempo II.

--Lyle

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (06/14/91)

In <493ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu writes:

>In <3310@shodha.enet.dec.com>, m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus)
>writes:

>>--In article <1991Jun6.131643.14930@linus.mitre.org>, jblue@mwunix.mitre.org
>>(Jason D. Blue) writes:
>>>Who makes Tempo, and do you have a phone number where I can reach them?
[stuff deleted]

Well, I could only keep quiet so long. I bought Tempo II in 1987 or so, and
I am _still_ waiting for the promised editor that will allow me to see a
whole macro on the screen at once, and will allow me to back up when editing
(ie "oh, yea, I do want to change that last step." now I have to go back to
the beginning of the macro and step down to the ?5p?~event I want to change. Not
very efficient.)

I believe this editor was to part of a package of enhancements called "macro-
pac" or some such. It was promised as a free add-on, to come in a few months.
So I bought Tempo II. Well, I've never seen it yet. Admittedly Affinity was
put in a bad position when their developer left (then at least, they were only
a marketing arm) but to come out with another product before the promised
macro-pac was inexcusable. And as far as I know, users are still stuck with
the same less than zero functionality editor.

Perhaps Tempo has a few features that Quickeys doesn't-yet. But here's one
guy who voted with his feet. Forget Tempo, its not worth it.

>Yes, it must be a small company. You got the attention of the president,
>didn't you? (Try that with CE Software!)
              you don't _need_ to-they keep their promises in the first place

Rich Akerboom
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer