[comp.sys.mac.apps] MathType, Word, and System 6.1/7

j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (06/14/91)

Fellow Net.Folks

Setup:
Macs (SE/30 and IISi), System 7, or System 6.1 LaserWriter drivers, Word 4.00D
and MathType 2.11.

Problem:
We're having the occasional problem with Word and MathType, to wit:
equations pasted into Word docs will fail to print, or will print "squished"
(i.e one long, thin blur). The text of the Word doc prints correctly, and
the equations print fine from within MathType. Anyone know how
to fix this? Oh, yes we do have the Belmo font file in the top level of
the System Folder.

Thanx in advance!
--jon

P.S. We thought we had this problem licked with upgrades to the latest
versions of Word and MathType, but apparently not :-(!!
 Jon Whalen @ U. of Notre Dame | At the moment, I have absolutely nothing to
 j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu | say. (Which is probably for the best.)

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (06/14/91)

j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) writes:
> Macs (SE/30 and IISi), System 7, or System 6.1 LaserWriter drivers,
> Word 4.00D and MathType 2.11.

Design Science says that MathType is not compatible with System 7.
The tech person I talked to said they expected a fixed version in 2-3
months.

Frankly, I've been very dissappointed with Design Science support.
There have always been bugs in MathType (yes, we have the latest
version, 2.11), and not having a System 7 version ready is very
irksome.

Blatant plug: Expressionist 2.07 works fine under System 7 (speaking
as a happy owner who wishes they'd chose Expressionist at work rather
than MathType).

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

arvidson@boulder (John Arvidson) (06/14/91)

In article <7748@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:

>Design Science says that MathType is not compatible with System 7.
>The tech person I talked to said they expected a fixed version in 2-3
>months.
>
>Frankly, I've been very dissappointed with Design Science support.
>There have always been bugs in MathType (yes, we have the latest
>version, 2.11), and not having a System 7 version ready is very
>irksome.
>

>Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
>Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
>Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
>West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

I am a frequent user of MathType (v.2.11).  But I typically only use
it to generate TeX code.  Anyway I have been using it along with
sys. 7 for a couple of weeks with no problems.  It behaves as it did
with sys. 6.0.5 for me.

What is *REALLY* irksome is that Apple does not have a sys. 7
compatable version of its own MPW (at least availible to common
folk) until later this month.  What is the explanation for this.

John Arvidson
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

jye@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Chen) (06/14/91)

In article <7748@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:

>Design Science says that MathType is not compatible with System 7.
>The tech person I talked to said they expected a fixed version in 2-3
>months.
>
>Frankly, I've been very dissappointed with Design Science support.
>There have always been bugs in MathType (yes, we have the latest
>version, 2.11), and not having a System 7 version ready is very
>irksome.

Frankly, so have I. There are severe bugs with MathType & the HP Deskwriter.
They suggested I contact HP to find a solution. The bugs with the Deskwriter
and MathType are severe enough that I've resorted to using OzTeX.

Another MathType User writes:

> I am a frequent user of MathType (v.2.11).  But I typically only use
> it to generate TeX code.  Anyway I have been using it along with
> sys. 7 for a couple of weeks with no problems.  It behaves as it did
> with sys. 6.0.5 for me.
>
> What is *REALLY* irksome is that Apple does not have a sys. 7
> compatable version of its own MPW (at least availible to common
> folk) until later this month.  What is the explanation for this.
>
> John Arvidson
> arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

I have experienced many "bugs" in the TeX expressions which MathType generates.
And the comments which MathType inserts for itself is just very annoying.

Jeffrey Chen
JYE@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU