[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0 and truetype fonts

ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (The Amazing Jim Stembridge (06/08/91)

Hi, I am currently running MS Word 4.0 with system 7. I have all the
truetype fonts installed that came with sys7. Helvetica being one of
them. The problem I have is that before converting to sys7, I had a
document in word with helvetica. I had it all nice and neat. Well,
I just recently opened it in sys7 and the font looked a little
different. When I printed it out, it was the same font only the letters
were all real closely spaced together making the formatting of the
file totally screwed up. Any comments or solutions? I haven't tried
taking the truetype font out of the system yet. Thanks for your help.
Jim
                      ccastjs@prism.gatech.edu
    Jim Stembridge, 3037 Springdale Road, Hapeville, Georgia 30354

halam@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) (06/10/91)

In article <30862@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (The Amazing Jim Stembridge say no more, say no more....) writes:
>Hi, I am currently running MS Word 4.0 with system 7. I have all the

 There are some known problems with Word 4.0a,b,c with TrueType.  You must
 get 4.0d it also comes with a little INIT that makes word more compatible
 with TrueType.  Give MicroSoft a call.

 Does anyone know if there are any more maintenance upgrades after 4.0d.

 Haseen.

--
 .-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Haseen Ibne Alam               |  email : halam1@ub.d.umn.edu        |

ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (The Amazing Jim Stembridge (06/11/91)

halam@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) writes:

> There are some known problems with Word 4.0a,b,c with TrueType.  You must
> get 4.0d it also comes with a little INIT that makes word more compatible
> with TrueType.  Give MicroSoft a call.

> Does anyone know if there are any more maintenance upgrades after 4.0d.

> Haseen.

I also get the same problem with WordPerfect 1.0 and truetype fonts.
And when I pull up the actual fonts side by side in the system folder
by double clicking them, they look different.

kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/12/91)

In article <30862@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (The Amazing Jim Stembridge                                say no more, say no more....) writes:
>Hi, I am currently running MS Word 4.0 with system 7. I have all the
>truetype fonts installed that came with sys7. Helvetica being one of
>them. The problem I have is that before converting to sys7, I had a
>document in word with helvetica. I had it all nice and neat. Well,
>I just recently opened it in sys7 and the font looked a little
>different. When I printed it out, it was the same font only the letters
>were all real closely spaced together making the formatting of the
>file totally screwed up. Any comments or solutions? I haven't tried
>taking the truetype font out of the system yet. Thanks for your help.
>Jim

I had a similar problem with my favorite display font, Geneva 10.  The advice I
received was to load the bitmapped version anyway.  It'll still print in True-
Type, but the display will be like the old one.

Sure enough, it worked.  So reload the old size and all should be well again.
Bob Kosovsky

johnc@synopsys.com (John Crossley) (06/15/91)

In article <1347@ub.d.umn.edu> halam@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) writes:
>  Does anyone know if there are any more maintenance upgrades after 4.0d.

I understand that they are up to 4.0h

John Crossley                       (415) 694-4181
johnc@synopsys.com