[comp.sys.mac.apps] BinHex 4.0 / StuffIT 1.5.1 help wanted

xie@evax0.eng.fsu.edu (06/16/91)

 We have a MacHanzi.hqx which need to be converted by using either
BinHex 4.0 or StuffIT 1.5.1 conversion programs.  Could any person
out there send me the programs or tell me the phone #'s that I can
contact.  Thanks in advance.

Zhiyun

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.130823.1@evax0.eng.fsu.edu> xie@evax0.eng.fsu.edu writes:

> We have a MacHanzi.hqx which need to be converted by using either
>BinHex 4.0 or StuffIT 1.5.1 conversion programs.  Could any person
>out there send me the programs or tell me the phone #'s that I can
>contact.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Zhiyun

Are you on a unix machine?  If so, you can get all the utilities you need
from FTPing to sumex-aim.stanford.edu (user name: anonymous, password:
<any>).  Here's how:

-       ftp to sumex and get the file /info-mac/unix/mcvert-16.shar
-       'make' this file in unix and 'chmod' it to be executable.  mcvert is
        a unix version of BinHex.
-       ftp to sumex and get the files /info-mac/util/stuffit-16-part1.hqx
        and /info-mac/util/stuffit-16-part2.hqx.  these are newer versions
        of StuffIt 1.5.1.  you can also get StuffIt 1.5.1 by getting
        /info-mac/util/stuffit-15-utilities.hqx
-       use mcvert to de-binhex these files (i.e. "mcvert *.hqx" to convert
        them all)
-       download these to your mac in MACBINARY format.  they should be in
        the form of self-extracting archives which you just double click on
        to extract all of the goodies within.

Now you have StuffIt and StuffIt classic, both of which can de-binhex .hqx
files (although it will probably be faster to do it on your unix machine).
You might also want to get your hands on /info-mac/util/compact-pro-13.hqx
which is another popular compression utility.

If you don't have a unix machine, or you're not too familiar with unix, you
should probably go to your local Apple dealer.  I'll bet they will have a
copy of StuffIt 1.5.1.  You could also try to hook up with your local Mac
user group.

Good luck,

Alan
  Alan R Fry                   | Graffiti on a condom machine:
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  | "Don't buy this gum, it tastes like old tires"