[comp.sys.mac.apps] 4D crashing!!!

ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Hodge Podge) (06/18/91)

Any one out there having major problems with 4D crashing.
It starteds out under system 7, I am using 2.1.1, which is the version that
the compatabilty checker sais I should have.  but any way, It started with
"application 'unknown' has unexpectidly quit because an error of type 25
has occured"  which I found out meant out of memory, I runnign on a
SE/30 with 5Mb ram and had a total of 8 or so with virtual turned on.

The script I was working on _was_ working, but all of a sudden this error
started occuring.  I got fed up and thought that it may have not been sys 7
compatible so I reinstalled 6.0.7 and the same thing happens, but now the other
data bases that ceated don't work either.  4D keeps unexpectedly quiting on me.
What's up?????
I'm getting real fed up with this!
Could possibly having that DAL extension installed have something to do with it

Gene
ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

nsimon@cs.utexas.edu (Neil Simon) (06/18/91)

I have also had a problem with 4D crashing under system 7.0 and virtual memory.
The problem I think i

The problem is that System 7.0 virtual memory requires reentrant disk drivers
so sometimes when the page error occurs while 4D is accessing a disk, the computer might hang.  On my machine the hard drive would spin for ever and the only
solution was to turn off the computer.

The solution is to update your hard disk drivers or turn of virtual.
.

TW9@CornellC.CIT.Cornell.edu (Tom Weyer) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.204126.21480@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca
(Hodge Podge) writes:
>Any one out there having major problems with 4D crashing.
>It starteds out under system 7, I am using 2.1.1, which is the version that
>the compatabilty checker sais I should have.  but any way, It started with
>"application 'unknown' has unexpectidly quit because an error of type 25
>has occured"  which I found out meant out of memory, I runnign on a
>SE/30 with 5Mb ram and had a total of 8 or so with virtual turned on.
>
>The script I was working on _was_ working, but all of a sudden this error
>started occuring.  I got fed up and thought that it may have not been sys 7
>compatible so I reinstalled 6.0.7 and the same thing happens, but now the
other
>data bases that ceated don't work either.  4D keeps unexpectedly quiting on
me.
>What's up?????
>I'm getting real fed up with this!
>Could possibly having that DAL extension installed have something to do with
it

>Gene
>ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

Have you tried altering 4D's INTERNAL memory allocations?  Data seg, Stack size
etc....?

Tom Weyer
Cornell University
400 Computing & Communication Center, Garden Ave
Ithaca, NY 14853

Bitnet: TW9@CornellC
Internet: TW9@Cornellc.CIT.Cornell.edu