[comp.sys.mac.apps] help needed for converting a hqx file

xie@evax0.eng.fsu.edu (06/19/91)

 Thank all of you who sent message to me regarding how to get the BinHex 4.0
 and StuffIT 1.5.1

 However I still have two problems:

   1.  When I was using "kermit" to transfer the StuffIT.hqx from my VAX/VMS
to my Mac, there was some errors in the transfer precedures.  And I also could
not open the BinHex and StuffIT on my Mac.

   2.  The computer I'm using are VAX/VMS and Mac (I also have a SUN/UNIX 3.0).
At this moment, I have no idea how to convert a hqx file by using the BinHex
4.0 or StuffIT.hqx 1.5.1.  I mean I don't know what commends I need use.

Is there any person out there can help me on these issues ? ( I'm a begining
user of Mac)

Thanks in advance !

sentvas@hardy.u.washington.edu (Senthilvasan Supramaniam) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun18.122948.1@evax0.eng.fsu.edu> xie@evax0.eng.fsu.edu writes:

> Thank all of you who sent message to me regarding how to get the BinHex 4.0
> and StuffIT 1.5.1
>
> However I still have two problems:
>
>   1.  When I was using "kermit" to transfer the StuffIT.hqx from my VAX/VMS
>to my Mac, there was some errors in the transfer precedures.  And I also could
>not open the BinHex and StuffIT on my Mac.
>
>   2.  The computer I'm using are VAX/VMS and Mac (I also have a SUN/UNIX 3.0).
>At this moment, I have no idea how to convert a hqx file by using the BinHex
>4.0 or StuffIT.hqx 1.5.1.  I mean I don't know what commends I need use.
>
>Is there any person out there can help me on these issues ? ( I'm a begining
>user of Mac)
>
>Thanks in advance !

	One solution would be to get the program mcvert-15.shar/mcvert-16.shar
from sumex-aim (for UNIX). It converts .hqx files into MacBinary II format.
In doing this it also reduces the size of the file, thereby reducing transfer
time. By the way, I had trouble with mcvert-16.shar(lots of error messages)
If decide to use mcvert-15.shar, when you 'sh it ignore the error messages.
To use it after installing it ( by giving the command make), just type
mcvert "filename". I you have any trouble doing this, I can send you a copy
of mine.
	Another good program to get would be downline.hqx, available by ftp
from sumex-aim in the directory info-mac/comm. This one is for your Mac. It
is a small program and does the work of BinHex, Stuffit and Packit. It
converts .sit, .hqx. and .pit files. Very fast and efficient. You also
notice a lot less errors while transfering files. I use both of them
together, and they both make a great combination.
	If you still need some help (such as using mcvert or downline)
just drop me a line and I would be more than willing to help you.

Hope that helps.
Senthil.

S. Senthilvasan            Internet: sentvas@milton.u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA                Voice:     (206) 548-9844  (home)