[comp.sys.mac.apps] Files from Sun to a Mac

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (06/18/91)

I have ftp'ed some files from sumex-aim that I want to transfer to my
Mac.  I have them on a SPARC IPC with a floppy and I would like to save
them to a floppy that my Mac can read and write.

What would be the best way to do this?  Don't say download them with a
modem.  I have about 20 Meg and don't want to spend days downloading.

Thanks.
--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

s8825443@ipc02.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Fiona Elizabeth THORNE) (06/19/91)

In article <15040@ector.cs.purdue.edu> krk@jacobi.cs.purdue.edu (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
>I have ftp'ed some files from sumex-aim that I want to transfer to my
>Mac.  I have them on a SPARC IPC with a floppy and I would like to save
>them to a floppy that my Mac can read and write.
>
>What would be the best way to do this?  Don't say download them with a
>modem.  I have about 20 Meg and don't want to spend days downloading.

Get suntar (was posted in the binaries section on the net a few weeks ago).
Format a floppy on your Sun (I use fdformat command) then use tar to dump
the mac files onto the disc. Go to your Mac, run suntar and this will
extract the tar archive.

Happy tarring,
Fiona Thorne.

sulkanen@xanth.msfc.nasa.gov (Martin Sulkanen - NRC/ES65) (06/21/91)

s8825443@ipc02.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Fiona Elizabeth THORNE) writes:

>In article <15040@ector.cs.purdue.edu> krk@jacobi.cs.purdue.edu (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
>>I have ftp'ed some files from sumex-aim that I want to transfer to my
>>Mac.  I have them on a SPARC IPC with a floppy and I would like to save
>>them to a floppy that my Mac can read and write.
>>
>>What would be the best way to do this?  Don't say download them with a
>>modem.  I have about 20 Meg and don't want to spend days downloading.
>>

>Get suntar (was posted in the binaries section on the net a few weeks ago).
>Format a floppy on your Sun (I use fdformat command) then use tar to dump
>the mac files onto the disc. Go to your Mac, run suntar and this will
>extract the tar archive.

>Happy tarring,
>Fiona Thorne.

i'm very interested in getting this too...but i don't see it under
comp.binaries.mac - where has it gone, or if its no longer here,
where can i get it?

thanks in advance,
martin sulkanen
.

sentvas@hardy.u.washington.edu (Senthilvasan Supramaniam) (06/21/91)

In article <sulkanen.677451111@xanth> sulkanen@xanth.msfc.nasa.gov (Martin Sulkanen - NRC/ES65) writes:

>i'm very interested in getting this too...but i don't see it under
>comp.binaries.mac - where has it gone, or if its no longer here,
>where can i get it?
>
>thanks in advance,
>martin sulkanen
>.
	I just checked, SunTar is available by anonymous ftp from sumex-aim
in the directory info-mac/unix.
Hope that helps.
Senthil.

S. Senthilvasan            Internet: sentvas@milton.u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA                Voice:     (206) 548-9844  (home)

schimmel@eecom.gatech.edu (David E. Schimmel) (06/21/91)

In article <15040@ector.cs.purdue.edu>, krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
|> Mac.  I have them on a SPARC IPC with a floppy and I would like to save
|> them to a floppy that my Mac can read and write.
The somewhat convoluted means that I discovered to do this is to:

1. Save the file on a DOS disk using the doswrite command.
2. Read in the DOS floppy to the mac using Apple File Exchange.

With a little care about end of line characters, this works quite well.  Good Luck.

Dave

School of Electrical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250
email: schimmel@eecom.gatech.edu
phone: (404) 853-0077
fax:   (404) 853-9959

weverka@spot.Colorado.EDU (Robert T. Weverka) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.065957.24540@hardy.u.washington.edu> sentvas@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Senthilvasan Supramaniam) writes:
>	I just checked, SunTar is available by anonymous ftp from sumex-aim
>in the directory info-mac/unix.

you will of course need to learn how to use tar on the sun end of things.

If you are a unix hack you'll want to read the Unix manual on tape archives.
   man tar

If you're not, here is what to do.

Initialize disk                                 fdformat

list the contents of disk                       tar tf /dev/rfd0
list the contents of disk (long format)         tar tvf /dev/rfd0

Replace entire disk contents with new           tar cvf /dev/rfd0 filename
Add a file to the disk                          tar rvf /dev/rfd0 filename

Put entire disk contents into current directory tar xf /dev/rfd0
Put a disk file into current directory          tar xf /dev/rfd0 filename

to make things easy add these to you .cshrc file

alias dls tar tf /dev/rfd0
alias dll tar tvf /dev/rfd0
alias cp2d tar rvf /dev/rfd0
alias cpfd tar xf /dev/rfd0

You may of course name these differently, the motivation for these names is:
As memory aid "d" is for disk,
"dls"            should work like unix ls command.
"dll"            should work like unix ls -l
"cp2d filename"  copy filename to disk
"cpfd filename"  copy from disk