[comp.sys.mac.apps] INIT WANTED!!!

netnews@leadsv.UUCP (Leads Network News) (06/20/91)

I am not extremely familiar with Sys 7 since I have not installed it yet.
But my boss has and he is looking for an init.
I guess you can put a folder in the apple menu.  Click on the apple and
then click on the folder that appears and it will open.

He is looking for an init that will list the contents of that folder while
under the apple menu.

Does such an INIT exist?? if not can someone write one, it seems to be
very useful.
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------!
!  	John A. DiMaggio	  	!				     !
!---------------------------------------!------------------------------------!
!					!				     !
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------!
       				       X X
       				     X	   X

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (06/21/91)

netnews@leadsv.UUCP (Leads Network News) writes:

>I am not extremely familiar with Sys 7 since I have not installed it yet.
>But my boss has and he is looking for an init.
>I guess you can put a folder in the apple menu.  Click on the apple and
>then click on the folder that appears and it will open.

>He is looking for an init that will list the contents of that folder while
>under the apple menu.

>Does such an INIT exist?? if not can someone write one, it seems to be
>very useful.

Yeah, a bit like 'heirDA' for pre sys.7. It allowed you to select the
option in the control panel directly, with a heirachial menu. It would
be good if someone did a similar thing, but checked to see if an apple
menu entry was a directory, and, if so, give a heirachial list of the
files... (wishful thinking)...

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/21/91)

In article <16880@leadsv.UUCP> dimaggio@force.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>I am not extremely familiar with Sys 7 since I have not installed it yet.
>But my boss has and he is looking for an init.
>I guess you can put a folder in the apple menu.  Click on the apple and
>then click on the folder that appears and it will open.
>
>He is looking for an init that will list the contents of that folder while
>under the apple menu.
>
>Does such an INIT exist??

What your boss has heard about is HAM (Hierarchical Apple Menu) by Chris
DeRossi of Apple.  Chris posted a message to the net about it roughly a
week before System 7 was released, saying that he planned to release it
into the public domain on or about May 13.  He apparently developed HAM
on his own time, so it's his intellectual property, not Apple's; according
to net.rumour, the reason he hasn't released it into the public domain
is that, after posting that message, he was approached about releasing
it commercially instead and is presently engaged in negotiations.

Some people have flamed Chris for this decision, so I want to make it
clear that I *do not* share their feelings.  I am disappointed that HAM
has not appeared in the public domain, and apparently shall not; but it
is his property to dispose of as he will.

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (06/21/91)

In article <16880@leadsv.UUCP>, netnews@leadsv.UUCP (Leads Network News) writes:
>I am not extremely familiar with Sys 7 since I have not installed it yet.
>But my boss has and he is looking for an init.
>He is looking for an init that will list the contents of that folder while
>under the apple menu.
>
>Does such an INIT exist?? if not can someone write one, it seems to be
>very useful.

Such an INIT (INITs are called Extensions now, BTW), will be part of the new
version of Now Utilities, I am told.  Also, a gentleman at Claris has written
such an Extension, called HAM (Heirarchal Apple Menus).  However, he is still
mulling over the shareware/commercial distribution issue.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Shoot him now!  Shoot him now!" - Daffy Duck, "Rabbit Seasonings"

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (06/22/91)

In <1991Jun21.021645.11587@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) writes:

>netnews@leadsv.UUCP (Leads Network News) writes:

>>I am not extremely familiar with Sys 7 since I have not installed it yet.
>>But my boss has and he is looking for an init.
>>I guess you can put a folder in the apple menu.  Click on the apple and
>>then click on the folder that appears and it will open.

>>He is looking for an init that will list the contents of that folder while
>>under the apple menu.

>>Does such an INIT exist?? if not can someone write one, it seems to be
>>very useful.

>Yeah, a bit like 'heirDA' for pre sys.7. It allowed you to select the
>option in the control panel directly, with a heirachial menu. It would
>be good if someone did a similar thing, but checked to see if an apple
>menu entry was a directory, and, if so, give a heirachial list of the
>files... (wishful thinking)...

>>!  	John A. DiMaggio	  	!				     !
>>       				       X X

There is an INIT from Hands/off called super menu that will do what you
want.  I have seen a demo on compuserve, if someone has the money they
might download it and post it at sumex.
Charles