[comp.sys.mac.apps] Calendar and To DO programs

tj@cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (06/20/91)

	I`m looking for a Calendar and To Do list program for the Mac.
I would prefer something that combines the two functions.  The
calendar should be able to pop up reminders and should offer several
different views of my schedule.  I`ve played with To Do 3 and it seems
OK for a to do list program, but it doesn't have a calendar.  The best
Calendar program that I have seen so far is the Calendar Manager that
comes with OpenWindows.

	Any suggestions?

	---Todd

WWalker@qualcomm.com (Bill Walker) (06/21/91)

In article <9106201624.AA00623@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu>
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:
>         I`m looking for a Calendar and To Do list program for the Mac.
> I would prefer something that combines the two functions.  The
> calendar should be able to pop up reminders and should offer several
> different views of my schedule.  I`ve played with To Do 3 and it seems
> OK for a to do list program, but it doesn't have a calendar.  The best
> Calendar program that I have seen so far is the Calendar Manager that
> comes with OpenWindows.

I've been using Alarming Events by CE Software (the About box says they
can be reached at (515) 224-1995.  They're in Iowa.  It's primarily a
calendar/reminder program, but you can put "to do" items on the calendar,
and they show up every day until you mark them "done" (and the program
records when you do so).  It's a DA, so you can always get at it.  I have
run into some problems with event notifications (pop-up alert boxes)
causing my Mac to lock up or other apps to "unexpectedly quit", though.
The program uses the CE Toolbox, and what came with the version I've got
is CE Toolbox 1.4.  I've seen some postings that the current version is
1.6, so perhaps it fixes these problems (speaking of which, I saw a
posting that said somebody had downloaded CE Toolbox from someplace, but
it didn't say where.  Could somebody let me know where I can get the new
version?).

Internet: WWalker@qualcomm.com
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer.
"First thing we do, we kill all the lawyers" - Shakespeare

paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) (06/22/91)

tj@cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:

>	I`m looking for a Calendar and To Do list program for the Mac.
>I would prefer something that combines the two functions.  The
>calendar should be able to pop up reminders and should offer several
>different views of my schedule.  I`ve played with To Do 3 and it seems
>OK for a to do list program, but it doesn't have a calendar.  The best
>Calendar program that I have seen so far is the Calendar Manager that
>comes with OpenWindows.
Frankly, I don't think anyone has come up with a really good TO DO and
Calendar program. This is still fertile area if anyone comes up with something.
I tried Focal Point II which is a Hyper Card stack that was really geared to
those people who have to keep strict time records for billing purposes, etc.
Since it used HyperCard it was slow, it did not convert to 2.0 successfully
(and I don't care anymore) and some features just did not work. It did do a good
job of archiving information and (with the necessary add-ons) could dial the
phone for you.
I now use CE Software's Alarming Events and Calendar Maker. Supposedly these
programs can talk to each other but I haven't tried that yet. I hear a lot of
people have trouble with AE on System 7. This program is better than FP but the
TO DO section is really messed up. Alarms can be recurring but to do items
cannot.
I looked at a shareware program called To Do! which looked nice but all it did
was a To Do! list. I think this is the same program that Visionary Software is
packaging with some other program.
I hope you get some other responses. I really look forward to the day we have
a complete "personal agent".
Paul Kohlmiller
CDC
disclaimers, etc.

--
     // Paul H. Kohlmiller           //  "Cybers, Macs and Mips"         //
     // Control Data Corporation     // Internet: paul@robin.svl.cdc.com   //

gt9022a@prism.gatech.EDU (MEYERS,DAVID SETH) (06/22/91)

>In article <9106201624.AA00623@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>tj@cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:
>>         I`m looking for a Calendar and To Do list program for the Mac.
>> I would prefer something that combines the two functions.  The
>> calendar should be able to pop up reminders and should offer several
>> different views of my schedule.  I`ve played with To Do 3 and it seems
>> OK for a to do list program, but it doesn't have a calendar.  The best
>> Calendar program that I have seen so far is the Calendar Manager that
>> comes with OpenWindows.

Although I personally don't find it usefull (simply because I am not around
my mac during the day...),
you might look into a program called Remember? (I used v2.1.1) by David Warker.
It is a shareware Desk Accessory ($20 I believe) which lets you call up a calendar, and also have it remind you of events at specific times, recurring events,
etc.  It came with an init which would scan your calendar and start the DA
up if it finds anything, but the init worked under 6.0.x, and not under 7.
Under 7.0, you can stick an alias of the DA into you Startup Items folder,
however.
I believe I found Remember? on America Online, but I imagine it is avail.
elsewhere.  I thought it was pretty well done, and if I had an office, an
d a desk, and my computer there, I would probably be using it.  Too bad
my mac won't fit into my backpack :).

--
MEYERS,DAVID SETH
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt9022a

kostas@ux1.lbl.gov (Konstantinos Papamichael) (06/22/91)

Remember? (available at the Stanford archives) is a personal reminder system,
that's worth trying out.  It does not have a ToDo list.  A simple solution for
a ToDo list is to use the NotePad (include it in the start up applications/DAs).

| Konstantinos Papamichael             | | | | |  Phone:(415) 486-6854        |
| 90-3111 Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | |-| | |    FAX:(415) 486-4089        |
| Berkeley, CA  94720                  | | | | | E-Mail:k_papamichael@lbl.gov |