[comp.sys.mac.apps] Microsoft Word Documents

Simon_Kok@resbbs.UUCP (Simon Kok) (06/24/91)

Salutations, we are a very small company with three key members that share
data (word processing documents) with each other.  One person has an Atari
ST, another with a IBM thing, and I a Macintosh IIcx.

At the present we are converting the documents to ASCII so each computer wil
be able to read it.  We find this process very time consuming - what we would
like to do is keep the formatting, font styles, sizes the same when
converting
from ATARI ST <--> IBM <--> MAC.  Is there some way to retain the word
processing format?  We have MS Word for the Mac and IBM.  Is there one
avaiable for the ATARI ST?  If so, can a IBM Word document (with type styles
etc) be used with the Macintosh and ATARI ST?

Simon Kok

suitti@ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti) (06/24/91)

In article <Simon_Kok.3478@resbbs.UUCP> Simon_Kok@resbbs.UUCP (Simon Kok) writes:
>Salutations, we are a very small company with three key members that share
>data (word processing documents) with each other.  One person has an Atari
>ST, another with a IBM thing, and I a Macintosh IIcx.
>
>At the present we are converting the documents to ASCII so each computer wil
>be able to read it.  We find this process very time consuming - what we would
>like to do is keep the formatting, font styles, sizes the same when
>converting
>from ATARI ST <--> IBM <--> MAC.  Is there some way to retain the word
>processing format?  We have MS Word for the Mac and IBM.  Is there one
>avaiable for the ATARI ST?  If so, can a IBM Word document (with type styles
>etc) be used with the Macintosh and ATARI ST?
>
>Simon Kok

MS Word for the Mac & PC clone can exchange files.  Word for the
Mac can read/write RTF files, the native form for PC clone Word.
I don't know of anything for the Atari, off hand.  Since the format
of RTF is public (ask Microsoft), it is at least possible that
a converter exists.

Stephen.
suitti@ima.isc.com
"We Americans want peace, and it is now evident that we must be
prepared to demand it.  For other peoples have wanted peace, and
the peace they received was the peace of death." - the Most Rev.
Francis J. Spellman, Archbishop of New York.  22 September, 1940

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/25/91)

In article <Simon_Kok.3478@resbbs.UUCP> Simon_Kok@resbbs.UUCP (Simon Kok) writes:
>Salutations, we are a very small company with three key members that share
>data (word processing documents) with each other.  One person has an Atari
>ST, another with a IBM thing, and I a Macintosh IIcx.

I'd hazard a guess that using Rich Text Format for your interchange
might work.  I know the IBM and Mac versions of Word can deal with it; I
can't say if there is a word processor for the Atari ST that will
interpret it.  It is something of a lowest-common denominator for
formatted text, so there is bound to be some offering for the ST.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |