[comp.sys.mac.apps] Changing desktop icon in Resedit

graeme@cs.hw.ac.uk (Graeme Muirhead) (06/19/91)

I am having some trouble changing the desktop icon of an application I
have written. I have been using Resedit v1.1B3 and have pasted in the
design I created into the icon which is the default for applications
created using Suprcard 1.5.

However, the icon on the desktop does not change, but when I run the
application the icon comes up in the Multifinder button at the top right
hand of the screen. I have looked at all the different parts of the
application resources and tried several different methods but to no avail.

Can anyone help ?!

Thanks

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (06/20/91)

In article <3266@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> graeme@cs.hw.ac.uk (Graeme Muirhead) writes:

>I am having some trouble changing the desktop icon of an application I
>have written. I have been using Resedit v1.1B3 and have pasted in the
>design I created into the icon which is the default for applications
>created using Suprcard 1.5.
>
>However, the icon on the desktop does not change, but when I run the
>application the icon comes up in the Multifinder button at the top right
>hand of the screen. I have looked at all the different parts of the
>application resources and tried several different methods but to no avail.
>
>Can anyone help ?!
>
>Thanks

Try rebuilding the desktop.  When you restart, hold down the Command and
Option keys, and click "OK" in the dialog box.  Warning: if you have any
comments in the Get Info boxes, they will be nuked.

Why does this work?  It gives the finder a "kick in the head", forcing it
to wake up and see what icons go with what files.  It'll also take unused
icons out of the system, saving space and time.

You are using an ANCIENT version of ResEdit!!! If you have FTP access,
blip over to ftp.apple.com (aka bric-a-brac.apple.com) and grab ResEdit 2.1
-- it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better (plus it has a color icon editor! :-)).

--Erik

--
      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.

kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun19.191209.6285@Think.COM>, ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) writes:
>In article <3266@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> graeme@cs.hw.ac.uk (Graeme Muirhead) writes:
>>
>>I am having some trouble changing the desktop icon of an application I
>>have written. I have been using Resedit v1.1B3 .....

>>However, the icon on the desktop does not change .....
>
>Try rebuilding the desktop.  When you restart, hold down the Command and
>Option keys, and click "OK" in the dialog box.  Warning: if you have any
>comments in the Get Info boxes, they will be nuked.

According to ResEdit Complete -- the book which comes with ResEdit 2.1 (if you
don't want to download it) there is another way without having to rebuild the
desktop (and sacrifice those "Get Info" dialog boxes).  In the Desktop's ICN#
file find the icon you are trying to replace.  Make a note of the number to
which its assigned.  Trash that old icon, and copy your homemade version, and
then assign the old number to your homemade product.  Upon rebooting, it
should show up.  ResEdit Complete explains in readable detail why this is so.

>blip over to ftp.apple.com (aka bric-a-brac.apple.com) and grab ResEdit 2.1
>-- it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better (plus it has a color icon editor! :-)).

Agreed.

Bob Kosovsky