[comp.sys.mac.apps] New version of ZTerm??!??

trowbrid@girtab.usc.edu (Theron Trowbridge) (06/25/91)

Just yesterday, I found a copy of ZTerm 1.00 on a local BBS.  The release
date is June 10, 1991.   OHBOY!  I was happy.  An update of ZTerm was
much needed.
And it seems to have features that do improve it: Super Kermit, Zmodem
8k, Lynx protocols (not that I've ever heard of Lynx or Zmodem 8k);
built-in scripting; better set-up ...
Only problem is, the person who uploaded it now posts that he believes it
to be a hack of 0.85 and has removed it in case it is a trojan horse of
some sort.

Does anyone know about this?  I'm using it right now.  Works OK.  I don't
know why anyone who was going to hack 0.85 would go to the trouble of
adding features, then installing a trojan horse...  doesn't make sense.
Does anyone seen this release?  Know if it's valid?  Know if it's not?

I'm all worried now...

-Theron Trowbridge
trowbrid@usc.edu
AppleLink: D7029
^

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/25/91)

In article <18018@chaph.usc.edu> trowbrid@girtab.usc.edu
(Theron Trowbridge) writes:
>Just yesterday, I found a copy of ZTerm 1.00 on a local BBS....
>[deleted stuff]
>Only problem is, the person who uploaded it now posts that he believes it
>to be a hack of 0.85 and has removed it in case it is a trojan horse of
>some sort.
>
>Does anyone know about this?

A message appeared on the BCS*Mac BBS from someone who spoke to the
author of ZTerm about this.  The long & the short is that whatever the
"ZTerm 1.00" you have may be, it is *not* his next release, which
he is working on and will be called "ZTerm 0.90"

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group