[comp.sys.mac.apps] Wanted - Menubar compression extension/INIT

klautky@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (BIOCHEMISTRY) (06/22/91)

Dear Readers,

        Is there an extension/INIT that will compress the menu-bar
selections so that all of them are visible?  I often lose Superclock
and MacroMaker when some applications such as MicrophoneII add
another selection to the menu-bar (in this case MicroEditor).

        If there is another way to get around this problem that does
not involve INITs please pass on the information.

        Unfortunately, my neck of the woods academic computer dealer
does not have Sys 7 yet (site license problems?) so I am not sure if
there is some way to do this in Sys 7 without extensions.  Is there?
Can ResEdit 2.1 help?

      Thanks in advance                   Stephen Klautky

                           INTERNET:   KLAUTKY@VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU

nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) (06/26/91)

klautky@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (BIOCHEMISTRY) writes:

>Dear Readers,

>        Is there an extension/INIT that will compress the menu-bar
>selections so that all of them are visible?  I often lose Superclock
>and MacroMaker when some applications such as MicrophoneII add
>another selection to the menu-bar (in this case MicroEditor).

>        If there is another way to get around this problem that does
>not involve INITs please pass on the information.

>        Unfortunately, my neck of the woods academic computer dealer
>does not have Sys 7 yet (site license problems?) so I am not sure if
>there is some way to do this in Sys 7 without extensions.  Is there?
>Can ResEdit 2.1 help?

>      Thanks in advance                   Stephen Klautky

>                           INTERNET:   KLAUTKY@VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU

I've seen (but never used) a shareware init for system 6.0.x called
"MBarCompress" which is supposed to compress the menu bar to leave
space for utilities like SuperClock. It is not a surprise that it
works badly with system 7.0.

You can find it on
	mac.archive.umich.edu,
under
	/mac/system.extensions/init/mbarcompress.cpt.hqx

-Nicolas Mercouroff		nm@cs.brandeis.edu
 Dept. of Computer Sciences, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02154
 My home: P.O. Box 390929, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA