[comp.sys.mac.apps] PostScript error in Word

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/19/91)

I have a MS Word 4.00D file which is doing some strange things.  THe
file is 18 pages long, and starting at page 10 there are a number of
charts from Excel.  These were pasted in via the 'Copy as Picture'
command in Excel.  When I print the whole document, at page 10 I will
get a 'rangecheck' PostScript error and a corresponding dialog from
Word.  Page 10 and the rest of the document do NOT print.

If I print from page 11 forward (more charts), things are just fine.
Note that many of these charts are in color, and they cause no
problems; page 10 is black-and-white.

I did a print to File of just this page of the document, and when I
SendPS it to our Laserwriter IIntx (laserwriter driver 6.0.2), I get the
following in the log file:

       STACK:
       29793
       4
       (Rvd  %%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: put ]%%
       %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

I've varied settings in Page Setup (Color/Grayscale <-> Black & White)
				   (Faster Bitmap Printing ON <-> OFF)
				   (Smoothing ON <-> OFF)

Summary of configuration:
   Macintosh IIci under 6.0.5 or IIfx under 6.0.7
   Laserwriter driver 6.0.1 (w/6.0.5) or 6.0.2 (w/6.0.7)
   MS Word 4.00D
   MS Excel 2.2a
   Laserwriter IIntx (2 meg of memory)

Any ideas?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

brian@krakatoa.uucp (Brian Donnell [PT4]) (06/20/91)

Are you perhaps also using images in your Word document that you got from
SuperPaint?  Versions of SuperPaint previous to 2.0a generated postscript
errors that caused problems with the LaserWriter Driver 6.0.2.  Maybe
Excel 2.2a has the same problem.  I also use MS Word 4.00D and have had
no problems like yours since I upgraded SuperPaint.  Check with Microsoft
for a patched version of Excel.

Brian Donnell
NASA/JSC

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.174808.15655@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> brian@krakatoa.uucp (Brian Donnell [PT4]) writes:
>Are you perhaps also using images in your Word document that you got from
>SuperPaint?  Versions of SuperPaint previous to 2.0a generated postscript
>errors that caused problems with the LaserWriter Driver 6.0.2.  Maybe
>Excel 2.2a has the same problem.  I also use MS Word 4.00D and have had
>no problems like yours since I upgraded SuperPaint.  Check with Microsoft
>for a patched version of Excel.

Brian,
  I talked to Microsoft, and they suggested a bunch of things (save as
  RTF and re-open, recreate the Excel chart and paste back in, etc).
  None have worked.  I will be trying to fall back to the Laserwriter
  5.2 drivers (also at their suggestion) to see if that helps.

  As it stands now, there is no good reason the doc shouldn't print
  (that I can see).  There must be just the right bit twiddled somewhere
  that is causing what appears to be a stack overflow.  Hummina.  More
  research to do.

  Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| => pejacoby@3m.com             |     I'm afraid this is getting    |
|                 (612) 737-3211 |            too silly!             |

howard@cornea.mitre.org (Howard Kim) (06/26/91)

Speaking of newer versions of MS Word, is there some patch program to upgrade older versions of Word to the latest?  I'm using 4.00B right now.  Or are the changes so insignificant that it's not worth the trouble to upgrade?