[comp.sys.mac.apps] Low Cost Color Paint Programs

barry@world.std.com (Barry L Wolman) (06/26/91)

I just got a new IIci with a color monitor.  My wife wanted me to
get her a color paint program she could use for her jewelry and
fashion design projects.  I had originally planned to get her a copy
of Color MacCheese, which is available mail order for about $56.  I
just received some promotional material from MacConnection about a
specially packaged version of PixelPaint 2.1(?) for $99 instead of
the normal price of $149.

My wife only needs basic paint functionality.  Would we get any
usable additional functionality with PixelPaint vs. Color MacCheese?
Are there any other programs available for less than $100 that we
should consider?

Thanks for any info,
Barry

--
Barry Wolman
159 Oxbow Road

jbecker@umiami.ir.miami.edu (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.030125.27385@world.std.com>, barry@world.std.com (Barry L Wolman) writes:
> I just got a new IIci with a color monitor.  My wife wanted me to
> get her a color paint program she could use for her jewelry and
> fashion design projects.  I had originally planned to get her a copy
> of Color MacCheese, which is available mail order for about $56.  I
> just received some promotional material from MacConnection about a
> specially packaged version of PixelPaint 2.1(?) for $99 instead of
> the normal price of $149.
>
> My wife only needs basic paint functionality.  Would we get any
> usable additional functionality with PixelPaint vs. Color MacCheese?
> Are there any other programs available for less than $100 that we

You might want to look into Master Paint, Amazing Paint, and Easy Color Paint.
Easy Color Paint by the way is highly rated, comes with plenty of power and
costs only 50 dollars. The MacCheese may be overkill because it's designed more
for 32-bit painting not the 8-bit that came with your machine.

Jon

bangrazi@ctron.com (Anthony Bangrazi) (06/26/91)

>From: barry@world.std.com (Barry L Wolman)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
>Subject: Low Cost Color Paint Programs
>Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 23:01:25 EDT

>Are there any other programs available for less than $100 that we
>should consider?

Delta Point is offering it's new WP called Taste bundled with Deneba Software's
UltraPaint. MacConnection has it for $79 (+ $3 S&H). UltraPaint only costs
entry-level. It is *very* powerful. You can't outgrow it (unless you need 24-,
32- or 64-bit color!). It's architecture allows you to add "tools" to its
palette to enhance its functionality. I love it and Deneba's a solid company.

Besides, you get a first-rate word processor/page-layout program as well an
some clip art and 2 fonts (not TrueType).

I'd seriously consider UltraPaint for what you need today and tomorrow.
Good Luck!

-- Anthony