[comp.sys.mac.apps] How to transfer GIF files from MAC to Unix?

dmnhieu@riemann.math.purdue.edu (Duy-Minh Nhieu) (06/18/91)

I have some trouble of transfering GIF files to unix.  I use ftp to get the
files.  The problem is that after transfering these files to unix, the display
program on unix would not be able to read them.  What can I do?

simonnet@smr.slb.com (Guillaume Simonnet) (06/18/91)

In article <13690@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, dmnhieu@riemann.math.purdue.edu (Duy-Minh Nhieu) writes:
|> I have some trouble of transfering GIF files to unix.  I use ftp to get the
|> files.  The problem is that after transfering these files to unix, the display
|> program on unix would not be able to read them.  What can I do?

 You must be in binary mode when transfering GIFs.
 Use the BINARY command in ftp before transfering.

 I use it, between GIFConverter (Mac) and xloadimage (sun),
it works well.

Hope this helps.

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (06/27/91)

In article <13690@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> dmnhieu@riemann.math.purdue.edu (Duy-Minh Nhieu) writes:
>I have some trouble of transfering GIF files to unix.  I use ftp to get the
>files.  The problem is that after transfering these files to unix, the display
>program on unix would not be able to read them.  What can I do?

When you ftp from mac to unix based hd, use binary transfer. And check on unix
side that, file is binary or not. When you do unix to mac, use asci transfer
ftp.
If you got mac x, then use xloadimage command.

Siri Hewa.
Network Research and Development