[comp.sys.mac.apps] Soft PC problems on Plus with 512 Keyboard...

delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (06/27/91)

I am trying to Soft PC on my Mac Plus at home. The program works great,
I get a Norton SI rating of about 0.3 of a 4.77MHz Xt :-) but I don't need
blinding speed. (Better not with that rating...)
My question is this: I only have a 512 keyboard (I used to have a 512, but
got the motherboard swap up to a Plus.) This means I have no arrow keys,
and no numeric keypad. The manual says to get the function keys etc you need
to use the command and number to get it. This does not work. It also says
that the arrow keys map to the IBM arrow keys. I do not have any arrow keys.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? A patch? Should I write a little
DA that posts keyboard events to softpc? (do you want to write one for me for
free :-) ) All I really want to do is to compile IBM programs using turbo C
(I can background this in multifinder) but not having half my keyboard is kind
of crippling.

Thanks.
(IF anyone from Insignia sees this, and can help, or if you know their E-mail
address, please pass it on to me)

Dan Lingman
delingma@thunder.lakeheadu.ca
ATDT 572-5375

insignia@netcom.COM (Dave Hull) (06/27/91)

delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:

>I am trying to Soft PC on my Mac Plus at home. The program works great,
>I get a Norton SI rating of about 0.3 of a 4.77MHz Xt :-) but I don't need
>blinding speed. (Better not with that rating...)
>My question is this: I only have a 512 keyboard (I used to have a 512, but
>got the motherboard swap up to a Plus.) This means I have no arrow keys,
>and no numeric keypad. The manual says to get the function keys etc you need
>to use the command and number to get it. This does not work. It also says
>that the arrow keys map to the IBM arrow keys. I do not have any arrow keys.
>Does anyone know of a workaround for this? A patch?

Your best bet would be to get a key mapping program such as QuickKeys.
Set up the keys on a Mac that has the proper keys and then map them out
appropreately on your Mac.

--
"There are innumerable questions to which the inquisitive mind can in
this state receive no answer:  Why do you and I exist?  Why was the