[comp.sys.mac.apps] Nisus and QUED/M

dnewman@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (David Newman) (06/27/91)

Question:  Is Nissus a strict superset of QUED/M?

I can't tell from the literature I got from Paragon.

owen@astro.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (06/28/91)

In article <3066@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM>, dnewman@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (David Newman) writes:

> Question:  Is Nissus a strict superset of QUED/M?
>
> I can't tell from the literature I got from Paragon.

No, unfortunately.

Qued has several advantages for plain text editing, though
Nisus is usable for the task. Qued's advantages include:
- long lines: Qued will allow you to wrap or not wrap; Nisus always
  wraps long lines (as far as I can tell).
- tabs: Qued uses every "n" spaces, which is great for source code;
  Nisus does not support this mode -- you have to specify every tab
  separately, and you can't do it by character, but only by inch
  (again, so far as I've found; macros may help)
- file creator: Nisus changes the creator of plain text files to Nisus;
  Qued leaves the creator alone (unless you ask it to do otherwise).
  Again, you may be able to override this in Nisus; I don't know.
- Qued has built-in outlining. It's a bit buggy but very useful.
  I don't think Paragon ever figured out how to implement it right,
  so they gave up in Nisus. Nisus does come with macros which apparently
  do outlining, but I've not tried them. They look ugly.

On the other hand, Qued is an old program. It hasn't had a major update
in YEARS, and it's showing its age. So Nisus offers many refinements
that are not really superset items, just improved ways of doing things.
The three main examples:
- Qued's Open... has a minor bug that greatly reduces the usefulness
  of Boomerang (or of double-clicking files in Finder
- Easy Grep is missing from Qued (but it does have normal grep).
- Nisus has a glossary, Qued doesn't

Paragon also clearly places a much higher priority on supporting Nisus,
a great frustration to me, since I prefer Qued for source code editing.
Paragon claims to be working on Qued 3, but they've been saying that for
years now, so wouldn't hold my breath.

-- Russell