[comp.sys.mac.apps] Endnote and Nisus

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (06/26/91)

Hi.
	Does anyone out in netland know if the Endnote people are coming
(have come?) out with a version that will read Nisus files?  I've got
Endnote and Word, and I'm thinking of buying Nisus to write my thesis- but
I'm undecided since I like the ability to track my references in Word with
Endnote.  Any help/suggestions?  On a related note, since I have Word,
can anyone give me more info on Nisus and whether or not it is worth switching?

Thanks in advance,

John Boswell
John.Boswell@Dartmouth.edu

tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) (06/26/91)

>Does anyone out in netland know if the Endnote people are coming
>(have come?) out with a version that will read Nisus files?  I've got
>Endnote and Word, and I'm thinking of buying Nisus to write my thesis- but
>I'm undecided since I like the ability to track my references in Word with
>Endnote.  Any help/suggestions?  On a related note, since I have Word,
>can anyone give me more info on Nisus and whether or not it is worth
switching?
I just got a copy of Nisus and am extremely impressed.  It does footnotes and
endnotes but I haven't tried it for those yet.  We have been using Endnote Plus
and before that the regular Endnote but have never really liked it.  It just is
not seamless enough.  Word is a piece of crap compared to Nisus in almost every
way.  However MacWeek had an article this week about Word 5 that is due out in
the fall.  You may want to look at that.  I would like to give you more info
but I have just gotten started with Nisus.  So far I am very impressed and
would rate it as a real Mac program, this is one of those gems that someone has
obviously put their heart and soul into.  I own a copy of pretty much every Mac
word processor and Nisus is the first that has been able to make me leave
WriteNow, I never thought that would happen!

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (06/28/91)

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) writes:

>Hi.
>	Does anyone out in netland know if the Endnote people are coming
>(have come?) out with a version that will read Nisus files?

We expect to have our XTND-compatible version out in August.  I don't know
when the Nisus XTND translator will be out, ask them!

The new version of Nisus will also have better file translation, so that you
don't have to go through Word after you save as a Word file and format using
EndNote (which is how it works now).

EndNote also works fine with RTF, though I don't know what the state of Nisus'
RTF is.  The new version (1.4/ EndNote Plus 1.1) will be also work with
WordPefect 2.0 and 2.01, and will be free to owners of those word processing
programs.  Please do not call or mail us now: wait until we send you a
notice or August, whichever comes first.

Please feel free to ask me tech support questions by e-mail as well.

	Avi

--
--  Ask me about EndNote and about MacInfo, our db of Macintosh literature --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

amaury@rel.mit.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.211059.624@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) writes:
>Hi.
>        Does anyone out in netland know if the Endnote people are coming
>(have come?) out with a version that will read Nisus files?  I've got
>Endnote and Word, and I'm thinking of buying Nisus to write my thesis- but
>I'm undecided since I like the ability to track my references in Word with
>Endnote.  Any help/suggestions?  On a related note, since I have Word,
>can anyone give me more info on Nisus and whether or not it is worth
switching?

>Thanks in advance,
>
>John Boswell
>John.Boswell@Dartmouth.edu

 I just posted a note about it. I have EndNote Plus and I'm learning how to use
Nisus. I wrote a macro scheme for Nisus that would make it work with EndNote,
but the fellow in the Nisus tech. support that I talked to was not very
helpful. In any case you can always save the Nisus doc. in Word format and use
EndNote to format it, specially if you are referring by Author/Date it would
works fine.

 The way around (writing a Nisus macro) take advantage of the Nisus plain file
capability, i.e. make a second file which would store just the EndNote
cross-references then format it with EndNote as a plain text file. If you try
to format your original Nisus file EndNote will destroy its format. Later the
macro should simply transfer the cross-references between the plain text file
into the final file. The idea is simple and I hope someone could help me to
implement it.
By the way Nisus is an excellent program and I hope I can work around those
little problems.

amaury@rel.mit.edu

amaury@rel.mit.edu