[comp.sys.mac.apps] NCSA Telnet & System 7

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (06/27/91)

I'm sure this went by while I wasn't looking, but I can't seem to
get NCSA Telnet 2.2 or 2.3 to work with System 7.  2.2 crashes with
a message saying "Unimplemented trap" and 2.3 just doesn't connect
(message is "Host or gateway not responding") if I choose the Open
Connection menu item or crashes with the "Unimplemented trap" if I
try to open an NCSA Telnet startup document.  Is there a version that
is compatible?  The "How to Install System 7" document by John Norstad
refers to a file called "Mac TCP" that I can't seem to find.  Is that
the problem?

	--Mark

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (06/27/91)

In article <79531@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
#>I'm sure this went by while I wasn't looking, but I can't seem to
#>get NCSA Telnet 2.2 or 2.3 to work with System 7.  2.2 crashes with
#>a message saying "Unimplemented trap" and 2.3 just doesn't connect
#>(message is "Host or gateway not responding") if I choose the Open
#>Connection menu item or crashes with the "Unimplemented trap" if I
#>try to open an NCSA Telnet startup document.  Is there a version that
#>is compatible?  The "How to Install System 7" document by John Norstad
#>refers to a file called "Mac TCP" that I can't seem to find.  Is that
#>the problem?
#>
#>	--Mark

First, the 2.3 MacTCP version does run. System 7
installation moves MacTCP--which you must have--to your
control panel folder. In order to get Telnet 2.3 or 2.4
to work, you have to move it back to the system folder
(and alias it to the control panel folder if you want
control panel access). The only incompatibility with
2.3 is that while you are running NCSA Telnet 2.3-MacTCP,
the Apple Menu items don't work, selecting one just causes
a beep. I'm not sure, but I don't think the version of
2.3 with built-in MacTCP will work in system 7. In any
case, NCSA is no longer supporting that version, so it
only makes good sense to switch. (Apparently, Apple will
be issuing a new and improved version of MacTCP sometime
in the near future.)

Version 2.4 is still beta testing (it's currently in its
12th beta version) and can be ftp'ed from ncsa. (I don't
have the ftp address in front of me, but it's something
like zaphod.uiuc.edu.) I've been using 2.4b11 for some
time on both system 7 and system 6 with no problems.

If you have trouble finding any of these files, I suggest
you go to whomever gave you NCSA Telnet in the first place.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (/dev/null ) (06/28/91)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:

>Version 2.4 is still beta testing (it's currently in its
>12th beta version) and can be ftp'ed from ncsa. (I don't
>have the ftp address in front of me, but it's something
>like zaphod.uiuc.edu.)

zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu               hostip = 128.174.20.50

Hope this helps anyone trying to get at it...

|            Return unused portion to creator if not fully satisfied.          ||                  ----------------------------------------                    |================================================================================

tv0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edward Van Lenten) (06/28/91)

NCSA Telnet runs fine with System 7 for me.  The possible problem is
with the MacTCP.  You have to install it in the following manner:  Put
MacTCP into your System Folder (Not the Control Panels), and then you
can put an alias to it in the Control Panels if you would like to be
able to set it from there.

TVL

 Tom Van Lenten                                      Special Projects
 tv0c@andrew.cmu.edu                       Carnegie Mellon University
 bitnet%"tv0c@andrew"                                  Pittsburgh, PA

n236dp@tamuts.tamu.edu (Philip Kizer) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.171856.18526> sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu ) writes:
>steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:
>
>>I don't have the ftp address in front of me, but it's something
>>like zaphod.uiuc.edu.)
>
>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu               hostip = 128.174.20.50
>
>Hope this helps anyone trying to get at it...

Actually, upon logging into the above address and doing a ls:
3 tamuts> ftp 128.174.20.50
Connected to 128.174.20.50.
220 Macintosh Resident FTP server, ready
Name (128.174.20.50:n236dp):
230 User logged in
ftp> ls
200 This space intentionally left blank <   >
150 Opening connection
1 Due to a network change the/
2 NCSA ftp server is no longer/
3 at this address.  The new ftp/
4 address is 141.142.20.50./
5 Please logout from here, and/
6 ftp to the new address./
7 Sorry for the inconvenience./
config.tel
Telnet 2.3 -MacTCP-
]
226 Transfer complete
259 bytes received in 5.27 seconds (0.048 Kbytes/s)
ftp> qui
221 Goodbye

Hope THIS helps...

philip
   ___   ___
  /___/ /    /_/						  Philip Kizer
 /     /___ /  \					n236dp@tamuts.tamu.edu

tappek@infonode.ingr.com (J. Kurt Tappe) (06/28/91)

The version might be a problem.  Under 6, I had been using NCSA
Telnet version 2.2. That did not work under System 7, so I upgraded
to version 2.3, the TCP version.  I'm typing through it right now
under System 7, if that tells you how it works! :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe          (215) 363-9485 || With.   Without.   And who'll ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.     (home)  || deny it's what the fighting's ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214    458-5000 || all about?    -  Pink Floyd   ||
|| tappek@infonode.ingr.com OR jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu   QLink: KurtTappe ||