[comp.sys.mac.apps] A REPLACEMENT FOR THE FINDER BESIDES DISKTOP?

franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca (STEVE_____(superboy)) (06/25/91)

Does anyone know of any keyboard interface methods for the
macintosh? Perhaps I am only looking for change, but there are many
advantages over mouse manipulation - Having both would be idea. . . Some
of you may be familiar with CLIM (command line interface (from wuarchive
wustl.edu), and it was succesful, butI could never figure out how to
overcome one major problem. . . Most mac programs have two words or parts
to them, and CLIM (Like msdos) can only handle one. . . Any suggestions for a
program/system file that could handle keyboard input only? Diskcopying,
secotr reading, filecopy, filedelete, and most functions would be a good
option. . . I would be using CLIM right now if it allowed wildcards. ..
Please, no remarks about "duh, why don't you go to an IBM then you weenie!"
Well, I simply feel that it would be to my benefit to be able to
use both techniques. . . (something that replaces/simulates the finder would
be great for certain things...)
thanks in advance for reading/considering this article. . . later
           steve
           (franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca)

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (Aron Fingers Nelson) (06/25/91)

Well, I simply feel that it would be to my benefit to be able to
use both techniques. . . (something that replaces/simulates the finder would
be great for certain things...)

Steve,

You may want to try and give Mr. File a try.  It's kinda like DiskTop except
you can stack commands (like a batch file - only mac like) and have them
execute in the background.  It also can maintain it's own lists of files/
folders and allow you to copy/paste between them.  The file find feature
has wildcards which allow you to do the *.* sort of things.

Their number:  408-978-9167 the Company SoftWays

Aron_Nelson@cup.portal.com

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.bc.ca (Rick McCormack) (06/25/91)

Users of MacTools DeLuxe may want to look at the FileEdit application, along
with Launcher, also part of MacTools. Quoting from the MacTools book: "FileEdit
is a disk and file management program that provides the functionality (viewing,
copying, moving, etc.) of the Macintosh Finder but without its built-in
limitations."  Seems like it could easily substitute for the Finder, if one was
pleased with its capabilities.

(Hey, I only found out about it yesterday while scanning the book in the can --
how can you even think I work for CPS? {MY standard disclaimer})
| IMAGISTICS Business Theatre Technology | Rick McCormack |
|  Interactive   Effective   Compelling  | Vancouver,  BC |
|________________________________________|________________|
|  UseNet: Rick_McCormack@mindlink.uucp  |  A O-L: Rique  |
|_________________________________________________________|
.

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (06/25/91)

There is a program called 'Command Line Interface' in the Sumex-Aim archives
that's quite interesting.  It gives you a DOS-like interface.  Very DOS-like.
If you're running less then system 7, you can even replace the finder with
CLIM (the acronym for the program).

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo

tbd@neuro (Tristan Davies) (06/26/91)

Disclaimer:I realize this probably isn't the right group for
this posting, but the thread started here.

Pardon my flames, but...
Why would you want to replace the finder? It's the heart of the Mac!
It's what makes the Mac so fun to use! Et cetera, ad nauseum.

Seriously, the reason Macs are so straightforward, IMHO, is because
you don't have to type anything in to locate, open, copy, delete, or
move documents and programs, which means not having to remember
commands which, while sensible once you understand them, take time to
learn.  So hip-hip-hooray for the finder, and for the intuitive
finder replacements like DiskTop, but boo hiss to the idea of
replacing the finder with an ms-dos-like interface.

Tristan "have you hugged your finder today?" Davies
tbd@neuro.duke.edu

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (06/26/91)

In article <22437@duke.cs.duke.edu>, tbd@neuro (Tristan Davies) writes:
> Pardon my flames, but...
> Why would you want to replace the finder? It's the heart of the Mac!
> It's what makes the Mac so fun to use! Et cetera, ad nauseum.
>
> Seriously, the reason Macs are so straightforward, IMHO, is because
> you don't have to type anything in to locate, open, copy, delete, or
> move documents and programs, which means not having to remember
> commands which, while sensible once you understand them, take time to
> learn.  So hip-hip-hooray for the finder, and for the intuitive
> finder replacements like DiskTop, but boo hiss to the idea of
> replacing the finder with an ms-dos-like interface.

Well, you know what they say: "Different strokes for different
folks." Believe it or not, some people actually *prefer* a
command-line! Myself, I would rather see the Finder enhanced with
a scripting language (which is supposedly in the works, hooray!).
There are some things which you just can't do very easily with a
graphical interface, but can do in a few lines in a command
language. But all that aside, I still love graphical interfaces!

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

IO71245@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (06/28/91)

Are any of those programs that provide a command line etc...
like Clim, Mr. File, and Mactools Deluxe..sharewhere or public
domain and if so where can I obtain them? If not how much do they
run in cost?    e-mail responses will be fine..
                               Matt