[comp.sys.mac.apps] Quick Link II Fax

wgadsby@gara.une.oz.au (Peter Gadsby) (06/29/91)

Has anyone else had experience with this software? Published by Smith
Micro Software, Inc of Huntington Beach, CA. It seems a little flaky
on our (SE) system; I wonder if anyone else has seen it.

Peter Gadsby

mst@tsc.cxo.dec.com (Mike Temkin) (06/30/91)

In article <7244@gara.une.oz.au> wgadsby@gara.une.oz.au (Peter Gadsby) writes:
>Has anyone else had experience with this software? Published by Smith
>Micro Software, Inc of Huntington Beach, CA. It seems a little flaky
>on our (SE) system; I wonder if anyone else has seen it.
>
>Peter Gadsby

Yech!  This has got to be the *worst* piece of software imaginable!

I have a Zoom sendfax modem and was saddled with this horror.  I
successfully used it twice to send faxes, but now it won't seem to work.
I called up the people who write the Quick Link garbage and told them I
was having troubles, they said to boot from their disk and run it that
way (not a very good answer).  I did it still didn't work properly (and
remember, this was without any INITs or CDEVs).  I called them back
again and their attitude was "Oh well...".

If it seems like I am pissed, I am!  However, MacWorld just did a review
of fax modems and they said that the Zoom uses the Sierra chip, which is
what you need to use BackFax.  I will be contacting that company to see
if it really will work.  If so...

Just my grumblings...
Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst@tsc.enet.dec.com		Digital Equipment Corporation

These opinions are my own, I can't even give them away...

jesse@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jesse Lee) (06/30/91)

In article <7244@gara.une.oz.au> wgadsby@gara.une.oz.au (Peter Gadsby) writes:
>Has anyone else had experience with this software? Published by Smith
>Micro Software, Inc of Huntington Beach, CA. It seems a little flaky
>on our (SE) system; I wonder if anyone else has seen it.
>
>Peter Gadsby

I have this software which comes with Zoom sendfax only modem. My friend
has a DoveFax send/receive modem. One day he told me to send a fax to
his modem to test his modem. I used Quick Link II Fax and I had no way
to send a fax to him. The connection always broke in the middle of
transmission. I do not know the reason why. I seldom use the program
at all even as a terminal emulator. This sendfax feature of this software
can only send text and pict documents. I once sent a text file to a
fax machine to look at the output. The output did not look very good.
All the characters are very small and there is no way to format the output.

I phoned the company and asked them if they have the latest one. Mine is
1.0.2. They said they had a latest one and charged for thirty something
to upgrade. Since I do not really like the software, I told them to send
me a catalog first. But I never receive such a catalog.

I hope there is some other software around which can drive my modem to
work. I think it is possible. If someone has an answer, please post
the result. I would like to see what other options would be.

						Jesse Lee

Jesse Lee			  | UUCP:     jesse@alberta.uucp
Department of Computing Science   | Internet: jesse@cs.ualberta.ca
University of Alberta