[comp.sys.mac.apps] What Functions The Ultimate Word Process Would Have?

JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) (06/30/91)

Just tried the WordPerfect (version 1.0.5?) after having used
Word4.0 and MacWriteII for a while.  It just does not make sense
to see one word processor has some nice things while the other
has some other nice things but none has all the nice things.

WP has a function to allow automatic save of current document
at time intervals(sp?) of choice.  MWII has a nice mail merge
system.  Word can do table better and allows the user to change
menus (add or delete commands that appear in the menus).
It would be nice to have all these features together in one
application.  Isn't it?

WP seems unable to handle multiple line spacings in one page.
What a stupid beast!  However, it is able to transfer files
between Mac and PC (supposedly with same software) preserving
most of the formatting.

MWII shares the same dictionary, thesaurus and help system with
other Claris products, saving disk space.  Does Word have this
feature with other MS products?  I don't know.

Since Word and DOS are both MS products, MS should make something
that can handle file transfer better than WP.  Right?

Just some thoughts.  Thanks for reading!

Jie Yuan

triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu (Nick B Triantos) (07/01/91)

In article <91180.170839JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu> JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) writes:

>  Just tried the WordPerfect (version 1.0.5?) after having used
>  Word4.0 and MacWriteII for a while.  It just does not make sense
>  to see one word processor has some nice things while the other
>  has some other nice things but none has all the nice things.

>  WP has a function to allow automatic save of current document
>  at time intervals(sp?) of choice.  MWII has a nice mail merge
>  system.  Word can do table better and allows the user to change
>  menus (add or delete commands that appear in the menus).
>  It would be nice to have all these features together in one
>  application.  Isn't it?

Well, I just got the new spec sheet for MacWrite Pro, and it looks like it
fulfills most of your needs (when it comes out).  It has, among other things,
"Easy-to-use tables to organize and communicate information visually", "editing
at any zoom level", "Text wrap around artwork", "Auto Save/Auto Backup", etc.,
etc.  And Claris is going to sell me MacWrite II at the student price (I think
$99), with a free upgrade to MacWrite Pro when it comes out.  Plus, it
obviously will conform to new Apple standards, and so it may be the thing for
you.

BTW, I don't work for Claris, own stock in Claris, nor does Claris mow my lawn
for me.  I've just been investigating a Word Processer investment for myself,
and it looks like they definitely have the most bang for the buck.

Hope this helps!

-Nick
--
  __      |    _____              |           University at Buffalo
 /  \ o _ |/  /  |  \ _ o __  __ -+- __  ___  triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu
|    ||/  |\     |   / \|/  |/  \ | /  \(___
\    /|\_ | \    |   |  |\_/||  | \_\__/ ___)   "Bus Error: Passengers Dumped."

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (07/01/91)

JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) writes:
>Just tried the WordPerfect (version 1.0.5?) after having used
The current version is 2.0.

>Word4.0 and MacWriteII for a while.  It just does not make sense
>to see one word processor has some nice things while the other
>has some other nice things but none has all the nice things.
Why not?

>WP has a function to allow automatic save of current document
>at time intervals(sp?) of choice.  MWII has a nice mail merge
>system.  Word can do table better and allows the user to change
>menus (add or delete commands that appear in the menus).
>It would be nice to have all these features together in one
>application.  Isn't it?
Yes it would, the features you mention, and a whole lot more.

>Since Word and DOS are both MS products, MS should make something
>that can handle file transfer better than WP.  Right?
This doesn't make sense.  Word Perfect is mainly a DOS based company,
and anyway, I really doubt that either company has the same people
working on both Mac and DOS machines.

I've used a lot of word processors, and I don't really like one enough
to stick with it.  In fact, vi is the thing I use the most.  If
Microsoft could hire someone who could write, and someone who could
organize, they could take care of the two biggest problems:  Terrible
manuals, and poor application organization.  Word Perfect 2.0 is too
easy to crash, and their formatting still isn't up to snuff.  Frame-
maker isn't organized very well and basicly doesn't run on Pluses
(and probably all 68000 Macs).  WriteNow doesn't have enough features
(which is supposed to be one of the attractions).  I don't know MacWrite,
and I'm not real familier with Nisus.

If you want the canonical list of Word Processor features, good luck,
I don't have the time to list everything I want!

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (07/01/91)

In article <91180.170839JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu>, JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) writes:
> Just tried the WordPerfect (version 1.0.5?) after having used
> Word4.0 and MacWriteII for a while.  It just does not make sense
> to see one word processor has some nice things while the other
> has some other nice things but none has all the nice things.
>
> WP has a function to allow automatic save of current document
> at time intervals(sp?) of choice.

I would think this feature would only be useful if it had a tendency
to crash on you.  Hummm....

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE