[comp.lang.functional] functional vs. procedural languages

mallsop@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop (8597)) (08/16/90)

	I'm new to functional programming and trying to find information on
the advantages and disadvantages of functional vs. procedural languages.

	So far, I've been through our University library, but although
there are books that talk about functional languages, I can find little
material on this particular topic.

	Could anyone out there either point me to books, information
available by FTP or other information on this topic? Or maybe a summary
of points??  At the moment, I'm pretty stuck.....

	Thanx in advance,
				-Mark.

| Mark Allsop         Computer Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia    |
| email: mallsop@mqccsuna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                                       |
| Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8597                                           |

sestoft@gere.diku.dk (Peter Sestoft) (08/17/90)

mallsop@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop (8597)) writes:

>	I'm new to functional programming and trying to find information on
>the advantages and disadvantages of functional vs. procedural languages.
>	Could anyone out there either point me to books, information
>available by FTP or other information on this topic? Or maybe a summary
>of points??  At the moment, I'm pretty stuck.....

See John Hughes: Why functional programming matters, The Computer Journal
32, 2 (April 1989) 98-107 and other papers in that special issue of the
Computer Journal (Cambridge University Press).

Peter Sestoft
Peter Sestoft  *  sestoft@diku.dk   *   DIKU,  Department of Computer Science
University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 1, DK-2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark
Tel: +45 31 39 64 66  *  Direct: +45 31 39 33 11/406  *  Fax: +45 31 39 02 21

alanf@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Alan Grant Finlay) (08/17/90)

In article <396@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, mallsop@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop (8597)) writes:

> 	I'm new to functional programming and trying to find information on
> the advantages and disadvantages of functional vs. procedural languages.

Didn't you know this knowledge can only be passed on by the laying on of hands?

Seriously though - why not try:

%T Why functional programming matters
%A John Hughes
%R Report 16
%I Programming Methodology Group, Chalmers University of Technology
and University of Goteborg
%C Goteborg, Sweden
%D 1984
%M NOV
%O (republished <?where>)

I know this was republished in some proceedings of a conference - does
anyone remember where?

pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (08/17/90)

Turner, "Research Topics is Functional Programming", Addison-Wesley.
This is one volume in UT's Year of Programming Series.  Tapes of all
the talks are available too: (512) 328-9800

The ISBN is 0-201-17236-4

Rich Pattis