[comp.lang.functional] Reference for term "Lazy Evaluation"

rpandey@umbra.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) (10/26/90)

 I am looking for the definitive citation on the term _lazy evaluation_.

 I've found several possibilities:

   Henderson and Morris "A Lazy Evaluator," from 3rd POPL Conference (1976)
     (actually uses the term 'lazy')

   Vuillemin "Correct & Optimal Implementation of Recursion in a Simple
              Programming Language" J. Comp. & Sys. Sci. 9 (1974)
     (uses the term 'delayed evaluation')

   Burge "Recursive Programming Techniques" (Addison-Wesley, 1975).
     (uses the term 'delayed evaluation')

   Friedman and Wise "CONS should not evaluate its arguments" Automata,
      Languages and Programming, 3rd Intl. Colloq. (1976)
     (uses the term 'delayed evaluation')

 etc.

  I found references to all of these articles in various places where the
 term lazy evaluation is introduced. Is there a definitive citation? Should
 I just pick one of these? Should I go back to Landin and streams?

 Any input would be appreciated.

 Rajeev Pandey
 rpandey@cs.orst.edu

--------
Department of Computer Science    |   Rajeev "Raju" Pandey
Computer Science Building 100     |
Oregon State University           |  Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331-3902  U.S.A. |  UUCP:     tektronix!orstcs!rpandey
(503) 737-3273 fax: (503) 737-3014|  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey

yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (10/26/90)

In article <21300@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rpandey@umbra.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) writes:

>  I am looking for the definitive citation on the term _lazy evaluation_.

You may find it in this new book:

	PETER M. KOGGE
        THE ARCHITECTURE OF SYMBOLIC COMPUTERS
	McGraw-Hill, 1991(?!)
        ISBN 0-07-035596-7

This includes the definitive bibliography about both function-based
computing and logic-based computing. It's helpful for _lazy_ persons :-)

--
Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
Department of Computer Science

rhj@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Rachel Harrison Josey) (10/26/90)

In article <21300@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rpandey@umbra.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) writes:

> I am looking for the definitive citation on the term _lazy evaluation_.
>
>   Henderson and Morris "A Lazy Evaluator," from 3rd POPL Conference (1976)
>     (actually uses the term 'lazy')

>   Friedman and Wise "CONS should not evaluate its arguments" Automata,
>      Languages and Programming, 3rd Intl. Colloq. (1976)
>     (uses the term 'delayed evaluation')
>
> Rajeev Pandey
> rpandey@cs.orst.edu

I think that Henderson and Morris were the first to use the term
"lazy evaluation". However, Friedman and Wise, working independently
of Henderson and Morris, published work on lazy evaluation in the same
year (as can be seen from the above references).

 Rachel Harrison Josey                  email:  rhj@ecs.soton.ac.uk

 Department of Electronics and Computer Science
 University of Southampton
 Southampton SO9 5NH England
 Tel: +44 703 593055  Fax: +44 703 593045