[comp.lang.functional] State of GRIP?

wg@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Wolfgang Grieskamp) (02/14/91)

Hello,

What is the current state of GRIP? Is it still alive? I've access
only to some older papers:

[1]	Simon L. Peyton Jones, Chris Clack, Jon Salkild, Mark Hardie:
	"GRIP - a high performance architecture for parallel graph
	reduction", Proc IFIP Conference on Funct. Prog. Lang.,
	Portland, Ed. G.Kahn, LNCS 274 (1987).

[2]	Simon L. Peyton Jones, Chris Clack, Jon Salkild:
	"High-performance parallel graph reduction", PARLE '89,
	Vol. 1, Ed. E.Odjik, M.Rem, J.-C.Syre, Springer 89.

Does the machine tends to a product-quality fixpoint? Is there a
user community? Are there other applications then classical graph
reduction? Hints are very appreciated.

--
Wolfgang Grieskamp
wg@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de tub!tubopal!wg wg%opal@DB0TUI11.BITNET

kh@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Kevin Hammond) (02/17/91)

In article <2636@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de> wg@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de writes:
>What is the current state of GRIP? Is it still alive?

GRIP is up and running LML and Haskell programs, after a hiatus when
it was being moved to Glasgow.  We've recently been getting some
performance results which are quite exciting, e.g.:

	Fine-grained parallelism can be very nearly as good
	as coarse-grained parallelism [Nijmegen];

	GRIP is insensitive to LIFO/FIFO spark pool throttling
	strategies [PDCS].

>Does the machine tends to a product-quality fixpoint?

We use the Spineless Tagless G-Machine for *fast* graph reduction.
The hardware is generally very sound (no machine faults detected for
over 6 months).  The software is still under development, but is
improving in quality.  I have run decent-sized functional programs
(1000-2000 line programs) on the machine [but no large-scale results
have been published yet, maybe FPCA?].

>Is there a user community?

Yes, there is a project (FLARE) which is aimed at exploiting GRIP for
real applications, and we have a (small) number of local users.  But
it's really not yet in a state where we could throw it open to all
comers.

> Are there other applications then classical graph
>reduction? Hints are very appreciated.

The BRAVE project at Essex is using the GRIP hardware to implement a
parallel logic programming language.  The hardware and OS are essentially
general purpose (though you might have to remicrocode the IMUs for a new
application area).

Kevin

[Nijmegen]	Hammond, K. and Peyton Jones, S.L., "Some Early Experiments
		with the GRIP Parallel Reducer", Proc. Workshop on
		Implementation of Functional Languages on Parallel
		Architectures, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, June 1990.
		Technical Report no 90-16, October 1990,
		Dept of Informatics, University of Nijmegen.

[PDCS]		Hammond, K. and Peyton Jones, S.L., "Profiling Scheduling
		Strategies on GRIP", submitted to the Journal of
		Parallel and Distributed Computing, 1991.

I can make PostScript versions of either of these papers available if
you're interested.
--
This Signature Intentionally Left Blank.	E-mail: kh@cs.glasgow.ac.uk