[comp.lang.functional] Miranda for PC wanted??

lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Alfred Lupper) (02/27/91)

We are looking for Miranda for the PC. Does anyone know an implementation
for the PC?

Please mail!

Thanks in advance

Alfred Lupper

University of Ulm
Department of Computer Science
Oberer Eselsberg
D-7900 Ulm
Tel.: (0731) 176-3010
FAX.: (0731) 176-3140
e-mail: lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de
--
A. Lupper

paul@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Paul Bailes) (02/28/91)

In <1991Feb27.111059.29397@informatik.uni-ulm.de> lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Alfred Lupper) writes:

>We are looking for Miranda for the PC. Does anyone know an implementation
>for the PC?

Aren't we all! In the meantime, however, there is a lazy implementation of Hope
available from here (The University of Queensland, Australia) that runs on Macs
and PCs and Suns and Solbournes and ...

If anyone is interested, mail a query to uqhope@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au.

If you haven't seen Hope before, there aren't too many nasty surprises BUT the
syntax is a lot noisier than Miranda's*  and e.g. teaching FP out of Bird & Wadler
is not as easy BUT it's (an awful lot) better than nothing.

Paul Bailes

*Miranda is a trade mark of Research Software Ltd.

dts@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Don Sannella) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb27.111059.29397@informatik.uni-ulm.de>, lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Alfred Lupper) writes:
> We are looking for Miranda for the PC. Does anyone know an implementation
> for the PC?

Stefan Kahrs of the University of Bremen (stefan@de.uni-bremen.informatik) has
an implementation of a Miranda(TM)-like language which he calls Miracula(no TM).
It runs on Ataris (and other home computers, I think); I'm not sure about PC
as in IBM-PC.  The syntax is close enough to Miranda that I had no trouble using
it together with Bird and Wadler's book to teach a course on functional programming.
There are some things missing from the syntax such as sections.  Miracula is faster
than Miranda and can be switched between lazy and eager evaluation.  There is no
garbage collection but this is not a problem for student exercises.  A more serious
problem is that there is no type checking.

Don Sannella
University of Edinburgh