[comp.lang.functional] FPL's and Graphical User Interfaces

ctumey@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Carol T Tumey) (05/16/91)

Outside of the work of Dwelly (1989), does anyone know of any work that
has been done in the area of connecting a functional language to a
windowing environment?

Carol Tumey
ctumey@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) (05/17/91)

ctumey@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Carol T Tumey) writes:

>Outside of the work of Dwelly (1989), does anyone know of any work that
>has been done in the area of connecting a functional language to a
>windowing environment?

"Processes in A Functional Animation System", Kavi Arya, in
_Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture_ (FPCA '89
Proceedings), Addison-Wesley [A-W ISBN 0-0201-51389-7, ACM # 407890].

-Ken Dickey				kend@data.uucp

mccabe@picasso.cs.unc.edu (Daniel McCabe) (05/18/91)

In article <494@data.UUCP> kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) writes:
>ctumey@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Carol T Tumey) writes:
>
>>Outside of the work of Dwelly (1989), does anyone know of any work that
>>has been done in the area of connecting a functional language to a
>>windowing environment?
>
>"Processes in A Functional Animation System", Kavi Arya, in
>_Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture_ (FPCA '89
>Proceedings), Addison-Wesley [A-W ISBN 0-0201-51389-7, ACM # 407890].
>

>-Ken Dickey				kend@data.uucp

Kavi's paper deals more with the time evolution of graphical objects
rather than windows.  Kavi's objects are similar to the picture objects
that Henderson describes in "Functional Programming", except that they have
a dynamic nature and can communicate with one another.

If you find this particular avenue interesting, you may also want to look
at Kavi's previous paper, which appeared in Visual Computer circa 1985
(the exact reference eludes me; if there is interest, I can post the
precise reference).  The Visual Computer paper is a refinement of Kavi's
Ph.D. Dissertation, which deals with functional programming and computer
graphics (static 2D only, although in priciple the concepts generalize to 3D).

You may also be interested in looking at :
	Beckman, B., "A Scheme for Little Languages in Interactive Graphics",
	Software-Practice and Experience, V21, N2, pp 187-207, 2/91.
This paper also has pointers to other references.

Also, various P.D. Lisp and Scheme interpreters exist with interfaces
to X Windows.  Elk, winterp, and CScheme come to mind.  You can find them at
ftp.uu.net or other archive sites.

I also have other references to functional programming and graphics (an Indiana
U. tech report comes to mind).  However, since I am posting this from home
and not from my office, I don't have these references handy.  Send me email
if you want more references.  (If I get deluged with requests, I will post my
list).

Cheers,
danm

mitrovic@tik.ethz.ch (Srdjan Mitrovic) (05/18/91)

In article <12170@uwm.edu> ctumey@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Carol T Tumey) writes:
>Outside of the work of Dwelly (1989), does anyone know of any work that
>has been done in the area of connecting a functional language to a
>windowing environment?

There has been work done in Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories.
SISAL (single-assignment) language has a good X-Window based environment
called SISAL-City. Furthermore at ETH, Zuerich in my group we have
(apart from putting the SISAL compiler on Mac) also implemented a
fast/interactive graph-display around the language SISAL and hope to
finish the complete environment (debugger/interpreter etc.) in the
second half of this year. At last we have developped the MFL (modular
functional language) which from the beginning has been embedded
in an window based object-oreinted framework (MacApp).

If anybody wants to know more, feel free to contact me.

Srdjan Mitrovic
Computer Architecture Group
TIK
ETH, Zuerich, Switzerland

mitrovic@tik.ethz.ch

S.Clayman@cs.ucl.ac.uk (05/20/91)

Carol T Tumey writes:
>> Outside of the work of Dwelly (1989), does anyone know of any work that
>> has been done in the area of connecting a functional language to a
>> windowing environment?
>>
>> Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sandra Foubister at University of York has done some work on this.
Here address is:
	sandra@uk.ac.york.minster

stuart