[comp.lang.functional] Virtual machines refs.

jsr@dit.upm.es (Joaquin Salvachua) (05/23/91)

Could any kind soul send me some references about virtual machines for
differents languages (functional or not).
There was some discussion about it some time ago, but i lost my files.

thanks in advances

   Joaquin.

Joaquin Salvachua               tel: +34 1 549 57 00  x.367
                                     +34 1 549 57 62  x.367
dpt. Telematica
E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacion
Ciudad Universitaria            fax: +34 1 243 20 77
E-28040  MADRID                 tlx: 47430 ETSIT E
SPAIN

E-mail:        jsalvachua@dit.upm.es
Alternatives:  jsalvachua@goya.uucp

wilson@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Paul Wilson) (05/24/91)

jsr@dit.upm.es (Joaquin Salvachua) writes:

>Could any kind soul send me some references about virtual machines for
>differents languages (functional or not).
>There was some discussion about it some time ago, but i lost my files.

I strongly recommend having a look at the Self papers by Chambers and
Ungar and Hoelzle, e.g., their '89 OOPSLA paper and '89 SIGPLAN paper.
Stay tuned for another one from them at ECOOP.

The first two are in SIGPLAN Notices special issues, July & October '89.

They have the spiffiest virtual machine ever, they also cite previous work
(especially in the Smalltalk genre) so they're a good place to start.

(Self is a very dynamically typed language, sort of like Smalltalk but
simpler because it's based on prototypes instead of classes.  But they
do nifty things to make it much *faster* than Smalltalk.  The same techniques
would apply with some variations to optimizing most polymorphic languages.)

  -- Paul

| Paul R. Wilson, Interactive Computing Envts. Lab. lab ph.: (312) 996-9216   |
| U. of Illinois at Chicago EECS Dept. (M/C 154)    wilson@bert.eecs.uic.edu* |
| P.O. Box 4348   Chicago,IL 60680                  fax ph.: (312) 413-0024   |
| *Next yr, Asst Prof, U of Texas CS Dept; after 8/1 use wilson@cs.utexas.edu |

--
Paul R. Wilson                                  lab ph.: (312) 996-9216
Interactive Computing Environments (ICE) Lab.   FAX no.: (312) 413-0024