[adsp.sw] "Busy" pointer

matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) (06/27/91)

In article <22702@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <1991Jun26.030833.9974@crash.cts.com> bruceg@crash.cts.com (Bruce Geerdes) writes:
>>What's the easiest way to get the "busy" pointer to come up?  The RKM's
[..]

>The ROM busy pointer is in Workbench, the application.  There is no
>system-integrated way to bring up the same pointer from ROM.  For now,
>it's best just to clone the pointer imagery.

This is my suggestion
Add in intuition two new functions.
- SetBusyPointer(Window,Mask)
  Mask would be a mask of desired IDCMP mesagges the user want to hear.
  Intuition would AND the incoming messagaes with Mask and if the result
  is NOT zero forword it to the window, else it would ReplyMsg.
- ClearBusyPointer(Window)
  Bussinse as usual.

>Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Bye
 Matija

| Q: What's the best way to catch a rabbit?             |
| A: Hide into a bush and mimic the voice of a carrot.  |

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.164849.3171@ifi.unizh.ch> matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) writes:
>In article <22702@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun26.030833.9974@crash.cts.com> bruceg@crash.cts.com (Bruce Geerdes) writes:
>>>What's the easiest way to get the "busy" pointer to come up?  The RKM's
>[..]
>>
>>The ROM busy pointer is in Workbench, the application.  There is no
>>system-integrated way to bring up the same pointer from ROM.  For now,
>>it's best just to clone the pointer imagery.
>
>This is my suggestion
>Add in intuition two new functions.
>- SetBusyPointer(Window,Mask)
>  Mask would be a mask of desired IDCMP mesagges the user want to hear.
>  Intuition would AND the incoming messagaes with Mask and if the result
>  is NOT zero forword it to the window, else it would ReplyMsg.
>- ClearBusyPointer(Window)
>  Bussinse as usual.

 Add one more suggestion to that.

  BlankSystemPointer(TRUE|FALSE)
  Turn the system pointer off. Why have this function? Because
  stuff like OFF_SPRITE will break in the future when the pointer
  isn't a sprite (DIG graphics). Also, OFF_SPRITE turns off all sprites, not
  just the pointer.

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|

itch@cbnews.cb.att.com (richard.m.brack) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.235837.16962@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
> In article <1991Jun27.164849.3171@ifi.unizh.ch> matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) writes:
> >[..]
> >>
> >>The ROM busy pointer is in Workbench, the application.  There is no
> >>system-integrated way to bring up the same pointer from ROM.  For now,
> >>it's best just to clone the pointer imagery.
> >
> >This is my suggestion
> >Add in intuition two new functions.
> >- SetBusyPointer(Window,Mask)
> >  Mask would be a mask of desired IDCMP mesagges the user want to hear.
> >  Intuition would AND the incoming messagaes with Mask and if the result
> >  is NOT zero forword it to the window, else it would ReplyMsg.
> >- ClearBusyPointer(Window)
> >  Bussinse as usual.
>
>  Add one more suggestion to that.
>
>   BlankSystemPointer(TRUE|FALSE)
>   Turn the system pointer off. Why have this function? Because
>   stuff like OFF_SPRITE will break in the future when the pointer
>   isn't a sprite (DIG graphics). Also, OFF_SPRITE turns off all sprites, not
>   just the pointer.

While we're at it, let's make the busy pointer editable in prefrences!

And why did they change the ZZZ cloud in 2.0?????

> >>Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
> >
> >Bye
> > Matija
> >

> >+-------------------------------------------------------+
> >| Q: What's the best way to catch a rabbit?             |
> >| A: Hide into a bush and mimic the voice of a carrot.  |
> >+-------------------------------------------------------+
>

> --
> / INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
> | INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|
> \ UUCP:uunet!tnc!m0023        *                                              /

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.164849.3171@ifi.unizh.ch> matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) writes:

>This is my suggestion
>Add in intuition two new functions.
>- SetBusyPointer(Window,Mask)
>  Mask would be a mask of desired IDCMP mesagges the user want to hear.
>  Intuition would AND the incoming messagaes with Mask and if the result
>  is NOT zero forword it to the window, else it would ReplyMsg.
>- ClearBusyPointer(Window)
>  Bussinse as usual.

Intuition already provides ModifyIDCMP() which the application can use
to choke off some or all classes of message.  There is no good reason
to combine that into SetBusyPointer().

> Matija

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com