[fido.unix] USR 9600 baud dual standard

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/03/90)

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) writes:

>In article <1990Sep30.171414.5132@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Ok - speed aside, does it work?  For the sake of this question, assume I
>I don't care that I can't get the full 1200+ cps rates.  Will a USR
>dual standard with V.32, V.42, V.42bis be able to communicate with
>Trailblazers at >4800 baud?

Yes - with a T2500 (with V.32) but not with a T2000 or Trailblazer Plus.

>>then get a trailblazer for uucp, and get a regular HST to stay in touch
>>with the DOS boards

>This seems interesting (again, please bear with me as I have zero experience in
>the high-performance modem world).  If I were to go this way, what should I
>expect to pay - how much is a USR regular (but new - 14.4) HST modem
>(I should get MNP with that, right?).  And, how much is a Trailblazer?

HST DS to Sysops is around $750, end-user discount price is around $899,
Trailblazer T2500 is around $950 and the Trailblazer Plus is around
$790.  The Telebits (as you know) will hold the line much better than
the HST - while the HST will produce the highest transfers using non-uucp
protocols - but the Telebit wins hands down on UUCP transfers.

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)