[fido.unix] Some questions from novice X11 user on ISC UNIX 386

larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) (11/25/90)

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:

>Im a UNIX user for a long time, but a novice to X11 (using it about
>two weeks now). After making my first experiences I have some questions.

>At first, here is my current equipment, in case it should matter:

>	Display
>	- Sigma Laserview b&w monitor system (1680 * 1200 pixels, ~120 dpi)

Nice display - I am using a 14" NEC 3D in 800*600 with 256 colors - which
is nice - but hard to work on - I would much rather have a high res large
monitor system.  What size monitor and how much?

>	Software:
>	- ISC UNIX 386 Release 2.2
>	- X11 Release 3 runtime&development system (Release 4 should be
>	  delivered soon, if I believe what my dealer promises ...:-/)

I wouldn't believe your dealer if he is talking about release 4 from ISC.

>1) X11 and virtual screens

>As it appears to me, X11 is not well integrated with virtual screens (VTs).
>After starting the X-server and -clients on some VT, I can well switch away
>from this VT, but switching back doesn't work (the particular VT is dead
>then) and I have to kill and restart the server and clients.

Have you tried going back to the VT you disabled to install X on?  For
example, in /etc/inittab:

v1:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt01 vt01
v2:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt02 vt02
v3:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt03 vt03
v4:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt04 vt04
v5:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt05 vt05
v6:23:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/vt06 vt06
v7:23:off:/etc/getty /dev/vt07 vt07

v7 is where I go if I want to return to my X display -

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Nov25.134746.7474@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>	Display
>>	- Sigma Laserview b&w monitor system (1680 * 1200 pixels, ~120 dpi)
>
>I would much rather have a high res large monitor system.
> What size monitor and how much?

The Sigma designs Laserview is a 19" monochrome display.

>>1) X11 and virtual screens
>
>>As it appears to me, X11 is not well integrated with virtual screens (VTs).
>>After starting the X-server and -clients on some VT, I can well switch away
>>from this VT, but switching back doesn't work (the particular VT is dead
>>then) and I have to kill and restart the server and clients.

VTs are documented to not work with the laserview.  Don't use them.  This is
a problem with the laserview server code (possibly because of some hardware
problems) not with X generically.

Anyway why do you need VTs, when you can just pop up another window on you
X display.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170