[fido.unix] Need Recommendations On 386/486 UNIX systems

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/23/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <2710@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>  I would go with Xenix. It's not remotely state of the art, but it is
>>well tested and very reliable. I'm painfully aware that more modern
>>systems, and most versions of V.3.2, are not quite as reliable. It
>>supports multiport serial very well, it supports TCP if you don't need
>>NFS, and is generally a good solution to your particular problem.

>I have found System V R3.2.2 (ie latest releases from the respective
>vendors) to be very reliable.  The only panic's we have had in the past
>year have been due to memory problems.  The only reboots we have had to
>do have been because of a hung archive tape drive (that's archive's problem
>not the OS).  We bang the hell out of our system and have had it up for
>months at a time with no problems.

I agree with Conor - I can't image anyone with the hardware resources
these days wanting to go with Xenix.  If he has 10 grand (I believe
that was the amount) to work with - he could put together a screamer
Unix based system with FAST SCSI drives.   The Xenix file system is
so very slow - and the chance that continued  development for third
party applications is grim.

>>|     3. disk controller? Adaptec 1740?
>>
>>  Garder variety ESDI. Use two drives to improve performance. I will

>Two drives does not get you that much performance improvement on ESDI.  However
>it does get you much more with a SCSI system.   I would recommend SCSI (perhaps
>adaptec 1542, or bustek equivalent) especially if the OS you choose is
>ISC (because ISC has highly optimized SCSI performance).

Again, I agree with Conor - a pair of SCSI drives that support SYNC transfers
will scream past all the ESDI systems I've seen (including the 15m variety)..

>The additional benefit of SCSI is that the tape drive can use the same
>controller (thereby saving costs of the controller and saving precious
>slots and interrupts).

Plus - DAT and optics - and lots of devices without the need to add another
controller..

>>|     4. 16 port serial card?
>>
>>  Two 8's. You might find performance a hair better one way or the
>>other, but redundancy says use two, and there's no drawback I can see.
>>*Smart* cards, please.

>I would recommend a single card.  (Slots are precious commodities, don't
>waste them).  The card I like best (and of course this is just personal
>opinion) is the Megaport-24.

I don't have enough experience with this to comment..

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/03/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <1990Dec23.113905.4278@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>
>>The last thing I heard about arnet boards is that they had
>>problems supporting bidirectional communications for a bank
>>of modems locked at 38,400 bps using only hardware flow control
>>under Interactive Unix.
>>

>Speaking of hardware flow control ... My new AST 4-port board has an
>option for setting enabling hardware flow control.  When initasy is
>run (on Esix), that's one of the questions that is asked.  There's
>also something about a "flow control register."  Neither of these
>is documented well (if at all) in the AST board documentation.  What's
>your recommendation on this?

Use hardware flow control (if it works).

Try turning it on in the modem, and in the driver (FAS?).

Then try downloading then uploading a file using zmodem at both a high
speed and a 2400 baud connection - with the DTE locked at either
19200 or 38400.  If you get a flawless transfer (no errors)
then you should be all set - however - if flow control isn't
working - you will sure enough see errors..

  {..!uunet!mailrus!iuvax!ndcheg!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu}