[fido.unix] The INfamous inode bug

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan08.140455.27471@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>we bring in a backbone newsfeed of 1180 newsgroups - including
>regional newgroups (ne, ca, sa, ucla, mi, fl, ont, can, eunet, etc)
>and traffic here was running around 10 megs per day before the
>holidays (yesterdays traffic was 14 megs).

This brings up an interesting news-feed phenomenon -- I only get around
750 newsgroups -- and my traffic is usually (don't have the figures in
front of me) somewhere around 8mb.  10-12mb is not at all uncommon.
Right after the holiday break, one day was 15.5mb.

It's interesting to see so much of a variation in what people are reporting
for traffic.

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/09/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>750 newsgroups -- and my traffic is usually (don't have the figures in
>front of me) somewhere around 8mb.  10-12mb is not at all uncommon.
>Right after the holiday break, one day was 15.5mb.

>It's interesting to see so much of a variation in what people are reporting
>for traffic.

I guess the traffic depends on the quantity of newsgroups - as well
as how far one is down the line (which would cause a larger paths line).

When we were getting news from iuvax->news.nd.edu we were only picking
up 10 or so different base groups - but since we've switched to the university
of michigan - we now get around 30..  I guess some backbone sites don't
get all the newsgroups that are available.  We even get a regional newsgroup
for stuggart, west germany.

Traffic yesterday was 13.5 megs -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator