[alt.fractals] Computing the Fractal Dimension

eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) (05/23/90)

I am looking for software and references
for computing the fractal dimension  of sets.
The aim is to compute dimensions of
data sets obtained from experiments.

Please send any information that may be relevant to me by mail
and I will summarize for the NET if there is enough interest.

Farzin Deravi

                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dr F. Deravi,                    | UUCP  : ...!ukc!pyr.swan.ac.uk!eederavi|
Lecturer,                        | JANET : eederavi@uk.ac.swan.pyr        |
Electrical Engineering Dept.,    | voice : +44 792 295583                 |
University of Wales,             | Fax   : +44 792 295532                 |
Swansea, SA2 8PP                 | Telex : 48149                          |
United Kingdom.                  |        GreenNet      gn:f1deravi       |
                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) (05/25/90)

In article <1847@cybaswan.UUCP> eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) writes:
>I am looking for software and references
>for computing the fractal dimension  of sets.
>The aim is to compute dimensions of
>data sets obtained from experiments.
>
>Please send any information that may be relevant to me by mail
>and I will summarize for the NET if there is enough interest.

I just received the INSITE software from INSITE,Inc. (relating directly
to Parker and Chua's book  "Practical Numerical Algorithms for Chaotic
Systems", Springer Verlag, 1989). INSITE will calculate the
correlation dimension and Lyapunov dimension. Algorithms exist
(in the textbook) to also calculate the following dimension types:

1. Capacity (this is standard "box" method described elsewhere)
2. Information
3. Kth Nearest Neighbor

-paul

| Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-392-1414                       |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
| Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (05/29/90)

The best package for the PC for dynamical systems analysis that I know
of is:

	Dynamical Systems Inc.
	PO Box 35241
	Tucson AZ  85740
	602-825-1331

The author is Dr.  William Schaffer, who knows his stuff.  The scope of
the package is quite good.  Discrete maps, two integrators with noise,
bifurcation diagrams, phase space diagrams, Poincare sections, power
analysis, fractal dimension calculation, data importation, good
graphics.  Requires a fortran compiler.  The interface is from the dark
ages, but with a promised upgrade.
--
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Box 1070, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .