[alt.fractals] What is Chaos?

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (04/18/91)

Follow-ups directed to comp.theory.dynamic-sys:

In article <1991Apr17.221854.18814@walt.disney.com> sma@walt.disney.com (Steve Acheson) writes:
>mjb@acsu.buffalo.edu (Matthew J Bernhardt) writes:
>>alf@uni-paderborn.de (Alf Wachsmann) writes:
>>>What _is_ chaos or when _does_ a system behave in a chaotic way?
>>>Are there any definitions of these terms?
>>>Any hints, references or opinions are welcome.
>
>> [ definition of chaos deleted ]
>>	A *VERY* good introductory book (IMHO) is James Gleick's Chaos: The
>>Making of a New Science.
>
>Another even better book (IMHO) is Does God Play Dice, by umm ??
>Sorry author's name eludes me for the moment, but it is very good

The author is Ian Stewart (Basil Blackwell, New York, 1989,
Q172.5.C45 S74) and, yes, I also thought it was better than
Gleick in many respects (if you can get past the overly long
historical introduction).  Stewart knows his stuff.  Unfor-
tunately, the book (at the least the above edition) is poorly
typeset with numerous typographical errors.  Has anybody else
seen a cleaner edition?

Another book worth looking at is _Chaos, Fractals, and Dynam-
ics:  Computer Experiments in Mathematics_ by Robert L. Devaney
(Addison_Wesley, Menlo Park, CA, 1990).  More mathematical, but
in a gentle sort of way.  Starts out with real mappings and
works it way through material on complex iterations.  Has a
chapter on chaos, but unfortunately it's one of the weakest in
the book, imho.

I'll also mention a book of reprints edited by Predrag
Cvitanovic (acute accent over the "c") entitled _Universality
in Chaos_ (Adam Hilger Ltd., Bristol, 1984, QC174.84.U55).
Excellent selection of influential papers.  The editor gives
a nice introduction in which he says "The essence of this
subject is incommunicable in print; intuition is developed
by computing.  We urge the reader to carry through a few
simple numerical experiments on a desktop computer, because
that is probably the only way to start perceiving order in
chaos."  I tend to agree with this point of view.

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu