[alt.fractals] Fractal Analysis of Music

fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) (04/18/91)

Hello all --

	There was an article in Tuesday's (4/16) NY Times called "J.S. Bach
+ Fractals = New Music."  It concerned the work of K.J. and A.J. Hsu of
Switzerland, a father-and-son, geologist-and-musician team, who recently
published a paper in the Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.

	I checked yesterday, and it is too soon for the (42nd. St.!) library
to have the current journal issue.  However, the Hsus published a paper last
year on a similar subject ("Fractal Geometry of Music", Proc. Natl. Acad.
Sci. USA, Vol. 87, pp. 938-941, February 1990).  As both a scientist and a
musician, I read it with great interest, but I did not find it terribly
convincing.

	Is anyone out there familiar with their work?  I would very much
like to get some discussion going on this subject.

			-- Fred Goldrich

--
	Fred Goldrich
	{att,philabs,rutgers,cmcl2}!phri!marob!maestro!fred

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (04/19/91)

In article <280D9BA5.2D42@marob.uucp> fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) writes:
>	There was an article in Tuesday's (4/16) NY Times called "J.S. Bach
>+ Fractals = New Music."  It concerned the work of K.J. and A.J. Hsu of
>Switzerland, a father-and-son, geologist-and-musician team, who recently
>published a paper in the Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
>	Is anyone out there familiar with their work?  I would very much
>like to get some discussion going on this subject.

I read the article.  They seem to be a doing a pretty good job
of stripping the life right out of old Bach, hm?

If that's ``work'', then this field is in trouble.

Harrrrumph.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (04/19/91)

In article <280D9BA5.2D42@marob.uucp> fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) writes:
;
;                                                 As both a scientist and a
;musician, I read it with great interest, but I did not find it terribly
;convincing.
;
;	Is anyone out there familiar with their work?  I would very much
;like to get some discussion going on this subject.

If I didn't know better I'd judge the article to have been a hoax.
The "fractal compression" technique, as far as their example went,
seems to be "remove all 16th notes."

As far as performing even that sort of analysis on CD's -- well, this
I have to see.

That their "technique" will goad the music community into higher
productivity --

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (04/20/91)

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:

>In article <280D9BA5.2D42@marob.uucp> fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) writes:
>>	There was an article in Tuesday's (4/16) NY Times called "J.S. Bach
>>+ Fractals = New Music."  It concerned the work of K.J. and A.J. Hsu of
>>Switzerland, a father-and-son, geologist-and-musician team, who recently
>>published a paper in the Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
>>	Is anyone out there familiar with their work?  I would very much
>>like to get some discussion going on this subject.

>I read the article.  They seem to be a doing a pretty good job
>of stripping the life right out of old Bach, hm?

>If that's ``work'', then this field is in trouble.

>Harrrrumph.

This work is also described in the German magazine (journal?)
_Spektrum der Wissenschaft_ (the German edition of Scientific
American, I believe) (December 1990), 48-49, in an article entitled
"Sind die Strukturen der Musik fraktal?"  Two specific examples
(Bach's C-major and a-minor two-part inventions) are discussed.  I
don't have the time now to summarize, but when I return from a trip on
Tuesday, if this thread is still going on and it looks like a summary
is still desired, I'll provide one.  Perhaps I'll also comment on the
"stripping life from Bach..." comment.  Only if I'm in the mood for a
debate that will likely go nowhere, though...

--
Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu