[soc.religion.eastern] Article What is the goal of Hinduism?

aarti%pollux.usc.edu@usc.edu (Aarti Kumar) (03/15/90)

The goal of Hinduism is to find the true self. Vedanta is the system of
knowledge which helps you reach the true self. But the self can be reached
through other paths as well. Nirvana is in a sense, a continuous abidance
in the true self i.e. to be continuously aware of the true self.

It should be reached because, (1) it takes you out of this wheel of births
and rebirths. Hinduism believes in re-incarnation.

(2) It also gives you a fundamental knowledge of reality, aside from mental
impressions and  intellectual thought. This knowledge releases you  from
controversies, confusion, any kind of limiting thought and  also helps
you to be understand your emotions. Its the knowledge which gives you
knowledge of everything else.

This is the main purpose of Hinduism, all other questions such as God,
paths, religions, traditions, etc, have their own place in the search,
but the search is for the self only. Since this fact has been recognised
in Hinduism, it essentially allows one to worship or "search" in a
variety of ways.

Anyway, this is as I understand it. Read some books by Dr. RadhaKrishnan,
Vivekananda, or others too for other answers.

Aarti
.

crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (03/15/90)

In article <14528@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> epperly@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tom Epperly) writes:
>Can someone explain the goal of Hinduism?  What is nirvana and why is
>it desirable?
>			Tom Epperly
>			epperly@osnome.che.wisc.edu

I dont think this is the right question; there is no goal, it's all
*lila*, a game or a play.

Nirvana comes from the root for "to extinguish", and means the end of
the ego, the part of you that calls itself "I".  In Buddhism, nirvana is
"desirable" because the one who attains is liberated from the cycle of
samsara, the wheel of birth and death, having to work late to get a
delivery finished, the desire to obtain a paycheck, and taxes.  A Buddha
disappears at the end of the current lifetime, never is reincarnated,
and otherwise gets the week off.
Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm)

ganesh@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Ganesh Subbarayan) (03/16/90)

In article <14528@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> epperly@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tom Epperly) writes:
>Can someone explain the goal of Hinduism?  What is nirvana and why is
>it desirable?
>			Tom Epperly
>			epperly@osnome.che.wisc.edu

The following is my interpretation derived mostly by reading the
works of the monks of Rmakrishna Mission:

'Hinduism' can denote both a collection of philosophies and a practical
religion which guides the individual to lead a life in which the truth
mentioned in the philosophies can be realized. The philosophies (as I
understand them) descirbe the nature and cause of the universe, the
nature of god and the individual and their relationship etc. The epics
and manusmruti etc. belong to the latter  category of practical
religion. There are six orthodox schools of philosophy in hinduism
which accept the validity of the vedas. The heterodox schools of
philosophy (Buddhism and Jainism) do not accept the validity of vedas.
What is common   to all the philosophies (from: Swami Prabhavananda's
spiritual heritage of India) is the following:

1. 'God' is
2. 'God' can be realized
3. To realize 'God' is the goal of life
4. All paths which lead to the goal have equal validity

Here what one understands by 'God' would depend on which school of
philosophy one subscribes to. For a dualist, 'God' would denote a
personal aspect and for a non-dualist it would denote a causeless,
qualityless, shapeless absolute reality namely brahman.

I am not able to come up with a satisfactory answer as to why nirvana
is desirable. It is usually taken as an axiom (I would be curious to
know what other netters think of this).

Ganesh.

markm@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Mark Magennis) (03/19/90)

>delivery finished, the desire to obtain a paycheck, and taxes.  A Buddha
>disappears at the end of the current lifetime, never is reincarnated,
>and otherwise gets the week off.

  I don't know about other forms of Buddhism but at least the
  Tibettan Mahayana practice believes that on attaining
  enlightenment one can choose voluntary reincarnation in order to
  'carry on the good work'. A person who has taken this path is
  called a Bodhisattva and is the most highly respected being. The
  Dalai Lama is one. In fact, Tibettan Buddhism holds that to do
  this is the only proper thing and that the only right
  motivation for any action in life is to gain enlightenment in
  order to help all other sentient beings do the same. Thus the
  bottom line of Tibettan Buddhism is compassion, nothing else.

  Does anyone know what Siddartha Gautama, the first Buddha, is
  supposed to have done in this respect. In other words: where is
  he now?

--
UUCP:      markm@qmc-cs.uucp                       | Computer Science Dept,
ARPA:      markm%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk   | Queen Mary and