[soc.religion.eastern] Religion, but no worship of God

gagen@cis.ohio-state.edu (kathleen gagen) (03/15/90)

>From article <14506@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu (B Maruti):
>
>   I would like to see a discussion of religion(s), if any, which do not
>   require worshipping God(s).  Thanks.
>
>   Maruti
Confucianism, secular humanism

crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (03/15/90)

Buddhism in general does not require worship of gods, although I will
admit that in many sects of Buddhism its just a little hard to tell the
difference between a god and a bodhisattva.

	The most mystical group, the Nine Unknown Men, ceremonially
	donned football helmets and faced the East, chanting:
	"There is only one god,
	he is the sun god,
	ra! ra! ra!"
Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm)

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/16/90)

But secular humanism is NOT a religion!  It relies on no belief or
faith in the unknowable or unproven.
Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

dph@cs.exeter.ac.uk (David John Phipps) (03/16/90)

	I suggest reading the works of J.Krishnamurti, who talks about
the religious mind as opposed to religion. Indeed Krishnamurti rejects
all organized religions, maintaining that truth cannot be organized.
Truth is a pathless land. There are many books published in his name
but my particular favorite is a biography "Krishnamurti" by Pupil
Jayakar. Also there is the Krishnamurti Foundation at Ojai California
who could provide more detailed information.

	David

skalluri@phoenix (Sudhakar Kalluri) (03/19/90)

In article <14587@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> dph@cs.exeter.ac.uk (David John Phipps) writes:

>	I suggest reading the works of J.Krishnamurti, who talks about
>the religious mind as opposed to religion. Indeed Krishnamurti rejects
>all organized religions, maintaining that truth cannot be organized.
>Truth is a pathless land. There are many books published in his name
>but my particular favorite is a biography "Krishnamurti" by Pupil
>Jayakar. Also there is the Krishnamurti Foundation at Ojai California
>who could provide more detailed information.
>
>	David

 Pupul's book would be the last one I would recommend to anyone wanting
to know about JK's views. It's much better to read his own books.
 I would recommend offhand the following:
 1. Commentaries on Living (1st, 2nd and 3rd series) (the BEST IMHO)
 2. Krishnamurti's Notebook
 3. Education and the significance of life (i might have the title mixed
  up here but it's on education)

  In my opinion there is always a LOT of distortion (misinterpretations
etc) in the books written by others about JK. I would look at them only
for `undistortable' biographical facts.

                  Sudhakar

rganesh@wpi.wpi.edu (Rajamani Ganesh) (03/19/90)

>From article <14506@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu (B Maruti):
>
>   I would like to see a discussion of religion(s), if any, which do not
>   require worshipping God(s).  Thanks.
>
>   Maruti

In my humble opinion, the word "GOD" is the most mis-understood word.
Who exactly is "GOD" ?  Is  S/He somebody up there in the sky, judging
and deciding your fate down on earth ?  NO !!!
The TRUE GOD is right within you, closer to you than your very breath.
GOD is the very best personal friend that you can ever have;
GOD dwells with YOU, and for YOU. Isn't it funny, that we live our
lives from moment to moment, from day to day, from year to year ,
without KNOWING who exactly is this being who resides WITHIN ?
GOD is YOUR OWN SELF !!!

I don't think, any religion would object to worship of such A GOD !

Be Happy !

ganesh

PS : I have only tried to set you thinking - MAYBE, what you know or
have learnt about GOD is wrong. This presents Just another PERSPECTIVE
of looking at things - a different ONE and I feel comfortable with it.
Ofcourse, constructive Flames are welcome and I shall try to answer
them.

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (03/19/90)

   But secular humanism is NOT a religion!  It relies on no belief or
   faith in the unknowable or unproven.

True religious belief is based on direct experience of God, spirit,
and mystical truths.  It is not based on blind faith.

Secular humanism is based on a sense of morality and human value.

Materialism is based on an intentionally narrow range of experience.

   -andrew
    alms@cambridge.apple.com