[soc.religion.eastern] Salvation

palmer@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Grant E. Palmer) (03/15/90)

 In the Christian faith, those who accept Jesus as their savior are saved
 and those who do not are damned to hell.  So in their belief system, all
 Buddhists, Taoists, etc. are damned.

 My question is do the Eastern religions have a similar belief.  Do Buddhists
 think "If you don't accept Buddha, you are damned"?.  What do followers of
 the Eastern religions think of this Christian dogma?  It always strikes me
 as kind of snotty.

 grant

bhatt@cis.ohio-state.edu (Chirag Bhatt) (03/16/90)

In article <14550@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> palmer@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Grant E. Palmer) writes:

> In the Christian faith, those who accept Jesus as their savior are saved
> and those who do not are damned to hell.  So in their belief system, all
> Buddhists, Taoists, etc. are damned.
>
> My question is do the Eastern religions have a similar belief.  Do Buddhists
> think "If you don't accept Buddha, you are damned"?.  What do followers of
> the Eastern religions think of this Christian dogma?  It always strikes me
> as kind of snotty.
>
> grant

As far as I know, Hinduism is one of the few, if not the only, religions
to accept all other religions as different paths to God. A true follower
of Hinduism should not object to praying in a templs, mosque, synagogue,
or church for to him they all houses of God. This one aspect of Hinduism
is, I believe one of its strongest attributes.

Just my $.02 worth.
No flames please.

Chirag Bhatt
Ohio State University
bhatt@cis.ohio-state.edu

daveh@tekcrl.labs.tek.com (David Hatcher) (03/17/90)

In article <14586@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bhatt@cis.ohio-state.edu (Chirag Bhatt) writes:
>As far as I know, Hinduism is one of the few, if not the only, religions
>to accept all other religions as different paths to God.

  I believe Sufism is one of those spiritual paths that does accept
  all other religions as different paths to God.

	David Hatcher
		Imagine spirit simultaneously within and around
		you until the entire universe spiriutalizes.
				Zen Flesh, Zen Bones

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/18/90)

In <14586@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bhatt@cis.ohio-state.edu (Chirag Bhatt) writes:
>As far as I know, Hinduism is one of the few, if not the only, religions
>to accept all other religions as different paths to God. A true follower
>of Hinduism should not object to praying in a templs, mosque, synagogue,
>or church for to him they all houses of God. This one aspect of Hinduism
>is, I believe one of its strongest attributes.

So does Buddhism, Taoism, etc. Many tread different paths, but all will
eventually arrive at the same destination.  There is no one true path,
and the destination can not be described, only experienced.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Start with the sun, and everything will slowly, slowly happen.  - D.H.Lawrence

stephen@bpa.bell-atl.com (Stephen C. Arnold) (03/19/90)

In article <14550@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> palmer@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Grant E. Palmer) writes:

> In the Christian faith, those who accept Jesus as their savior are saved
> and those who do not are damned to hell.  So in their belief system, all
> Buddhists, Taoists, etc. are damned.
>
> My question is do the Eastern religions have a similar belief.  Do Buddhists
> think "If you don't accept Buddha, you are damned"?.  What do followers of
> the Eastern religions think of this Christian dogma?  It always strikes me
> as kind of snotty.
>
> grant

Most eastern religions I've seen don't have a concept of salvation and to
practice another religion does not make one innately bad.

If you go back to the Christian Texts (the bible), non-beleives in Christ are
not automaticly damned.  In Paul's writtings there is a section called the
trial of the innocent where he speaks about the judgement of thoses who have
not hear the word of Christ.  These people are not automaticly damned and by
implication, my even get into heaven.

Also Jesus only one in the bible speaks of how his Father will judge people
and says nothing of requiring faith in Christ to get into heaven.  He says
that thouse who help the childern of God will be let into heaven, and those
how turn their back on the childern of God will be forsaken (damned).

Now this is not the way I've seen it practiced in most places but that what
the Bible says.

(Sorry for going on so long about Christianity in this group, but this is a
common misconseption I though needed some clarification.)

Steve

crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (03/19/90)

In article <14550@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> palmer@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Grant E. Palmer) writes:

> My question is do the Eastern religions have a similar belief.  Do Buddhists
> think "If you don't accept Buddha, you are damned"?.
In a word, no.  In more words, no, because the old guy from the Shakya
tribe wasn't even all that big on reincarnation; the traditional answer
to "are we reincarnated" was another question "is it the same flame or a
new one?"

What Buddhists *do* think (often) is that it's kind of too bad if you
don't run into Buddhism because it's a shame to waste time being so
unhappy.

>What do followers of
> the Eastern religions think of this Christian dogma?  It always strikes me
> as kind of snotty.

I'm with you.  If there is a ghod, it strikes me he'd be generally nicer
than that.

Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm)

hughes@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (03/21/90)

In article <14550@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> palmer@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Grant E. Palmer) writes:
> My question is do the Eastern religions have a similar belief.  Do Buddhists
> think "If you don't accept Buddha, you are damned"?.  What do followers of

No, in fact there's even a good book called "If you meet the Buddha on
the road, kill him!"  The idea is that Buddha consciousness is latent
within you, and you don't have to look to someone else to find it.

So, in essence, they are saying "if you don't accept your own Buddha
nature, you are damned".