[soc.religion.eastern] Looking for a philosophy/religion.

jessea@tiamat.fsc.com (07/11/90)

I have an interesting problem that maybe some can help me with.

I believe that people need some sort of foundation for their morals to stand
on.  It is helpful to have some sort of guiding light when faced with difficult
decisions and problems.  I have come to the conclusion that I lack this
foundation.  I am an atheist and do not believe in any kind of overall
intelligent being guiding the universe through its paces.  And I definitely
don't believe in a Christian type of god.

So, basically, I'm looking for some helpful hints on where to look for
moral guidance.  I'm not asking for you to try to convert me or teach me
how your particular religion/philosophy works.  I'm asking for pointers
on reading material on other such helpful hints.

I'm not quite sure, but I think I may be looking more for a philosophy than
a religion.  I don't really care for mysticism or such things as that.
An example is _The Three Pillars of Zen_.  I started reading that, but the
further I got, the more mystical it became.  I'm looking more for some
logical way of looking at things.  It doesn't have to be something that
explains everything completely by logic, but at least gives some sort of
explanation on why this way of thinking exists.

I also tend to lean more towards an eastern way of thinking.  I believe that
everything is cyclical and balance should be maintained.  I believe that there
will always be "good" and "evil", or "good" and "bad".  But a balance must
be maintained between them.  To me, life is all about the struggle to maintain
the balance.  It is very rarely in balance, but ceaselessly strives to
reach equilibrium.

Can anyone help me here?  Can you see what I'm driving at?  I would appreciate
any help as I'd rather not read every book on philosophy or religion just
to find the one that best suits my needs and perspectives.  I realize that
I will not find one that exactly the way I think, but close is good enough
for me.

I'm tired of just saying I'm an atheist.  I'd like to be able to generally
describe my way of thinking about life and existance by just saying "I'm a
such and such."  Saying that you are an atheist only describes one small
part of what you believe.

Thanx for any help.  I would appreciate it.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (07/14/90)

The two books I have are, "An Introduction to Zen Buddhism" by
Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, and "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryn
Suzuki.  The former is pretty old (the intro was written by Jung),
but it is short and pretty easy reading.  I have just started the
latter, but its pretty good so far.

The problem I have is understanding what is meant by stuff like "when
you travel east, you also travel west", and "the present becomes the
past and the past becomes the present".  It seems to be in the crux of
the Zen mind, kind of disregarding the reality that has been put upon
you, and disregarding what you have learned.  I think that is what is
meant to have the "Beginner's Mind".

Mabey I try too hard to understand Zen.  "I have nothing to teach you
about Zen", "keep the beginner's mind", and "if you see the Buddha, you
must kill him" are the types of phrases that keep coming up.  It seems
very elusive and meant to be that way.

---

Mike Taylor             | "I've seen stranger things than you
tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com    |       in my breakfast cereal!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

cak0l@surya.cs.Virginia.EDU (Christopher A. Koeritz) (07/17/90)

In article <1211@idunno.Princeton.EDU> tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) writes:
>The problem I have is understanding what is meant by stuff like "when
>you travel east, you also travel west",
well, i don't know if i can help about this, but it seems to me, at least
on an oblately spheroidal planet such as ours, west and east are merely
nominal designations for the sides of the planet.  if one is traveling
to the east, say from chicago to new york, he is also traveling towards
san francisco, which is to the west.  this is obviously a special case,
and does not reflect deep wisdom in the speaker (me).

>and "the present becomes the past and the past becomes the present".
the present is always becoming the past, eh?  even when you were reading
that sentence and it was the present then, it is now the past.
the past becomes the present is harder for me to provide a logical
rationalization, which is exactly what these koans are supposed to do.
they are intended to block the normal "this causes this and stems from
that and makes sense this way" kind of mind-stream we are usually
trapped in.  the intent, as far as i understand it, is to break through
logic, feelings, desires, etc, and make one perceive rather than
judging.  if one allows the logical part of his mind to become thoroughly
dedicated to understanding this, either it will understand it in some
way or be blocked.  when it is blocked, reality peeps through the mental
fog most of us keep ourselves in.
a cop-out-- when people forget the past, history is doomed to repeat itself.
hows that for dissatisfying rationalization about "past becomes present"?

>  It seems to be in the crux of
>the Zen mind, kind of disregarding the reality that has been put upon
>you, and disregarding what you have learned.  I think that is what is
>meant to have the "Beginner's Mind".
disregard implies ignoring, to me.  i feel that the attempt is to snap
conceptions in half and throw them away like dry sticks, when they are
unrealistic or damaging to the consciousness engaging in them.

>Mabey I try too hard to understand Zen.  "I have nothing to teach you
>about Zen", "keep the beginner's mind", and "if you see the Buddha, you
>must kill him" are the types of phrases that keep coming up.  It seems
>very elusive and meant to be that way.
>Mike Taylor             | "I've seen stranger things than you
>tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com    |       in my breakfast cereal!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox
i do know one thing-- if people think the expression, "if you see the
Buddha, you must kill him" is not meant for people to hurt Buddhas.
that literal action would be one of those seven(?) heinous crimes that
are supposed to keep one in one or another hell a very long time.
unfortunately, my understanding does not extend to this sphere,
although at one point someone told me that if you think you see the
buddha, kill the conception that you are seeing him.  you are not
really seeing him, as he really is, for perceptions are flawed at the
root.  if the fact that you think you have seen the buddha is afflicting
your mind, kill the thought.  this extends to parents and friends and
anyone or anything else.  but like i said, i don't really understand it.

hope i helped a little.
Chris Koeritz.

KWOK@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (07/19/90)

In article (Mike Taylor) writes:
> The problem I have is understanding what is meant by stuff like "when
> you travel east, you also travel west", and "the present becomes the
> past and the past becomes the present".

 I haven't read the book, but let me try to...
 The main question is "Do Space and Time have beginning and end".
 The meaning of above sentences becomes clear if we interpret them
 that space and time are cyclic.

 ======
 kwok-hing Luk
 kwok@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
 kwok@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

rky8144@njitx.njit.edu (07/19/90)

<From: chromc!dynasys!jessea@tiamat.fsc.com

<I have an interesting problem that maybe some can help me with.

<I believe that people need some sort of foundation for their morals to stand
<on.

	You have a right[100%] statement.

< It is helpful to have some sort of guiding light when faced with difficult
<decisions and problems.  I have come to the conclusion that I lack this
<foundation.

	Its never too late to get knowing the world around you and beyond.

< I am an atheist and do not believe in any kind of overall
<intelligent being guiding the universe through its paces.  And I definitely
<don't believe in a Christian type of god.

	OK. your arguments can be supported through means of logical grounds.
God can not be diffrentiated. [so, christianity or islam or hinduism
or anyother religion carries the same God.]

<So, basically, I'm looking for some helpful hints on where to look for
<moral guidance.  I'm not asking for you to try to convert me or teach me
<how your particular religion/philosophy works.  I'm asking for pointers
<on reading material on other such helpful hints.

	no problem. you will understand the philosophies/religion 'cause
it needs the motivation and deep desire from the learner which you
are trying to have. [God helps in such cases.]

	being Hindu, i can tell you that the Vaisnav Philosophy of ancient
India [Vedas] are capable of answering any questions [i repeat, any question]
you have. take a look at them.

	they are broad. people have spent their whole life in understanding
the some context of it. you can try and feel the results for yourself. i
don't have to tell you that you will be better off. the experiments you will
do - should speak for themselves.

<I'm not quite sure, but I think I may be looking more for a philosophy than
<a religion.  I don't really care for mysticism or such things as that.

	As i said - Vedas won't let you fall down on any matter. [scientific
or any other kind of problem]. they are wholly natural and philosophycaly
true in the eyes of scientific explanations.

<An example is _The Three Pillars of Zen_.  I started reading that, but the
<further I got, the more mystical it became.  I'm looking more for some
<logical way of looking at things.  It doesn't have to be something that
<explains everything completely by logic, but at least gives some sort of
<explanation on why this way of thinking exists.

	As an example from me - the mystic which you received by this book,
does not have any cure. [ i think so. i assume that you are saying the right
thing.]
	But, the authority which you except, should be able to satisfy atleast
you through means of logical and experimantal methods.

	Any explanation given in Vedas have logical grounds. [ there are
few restrictions though - which you will understand by time and going through
it - and would not need to argue about them.]

<I also tend to lean more towards an eastern way of thinking.  I believe that
<everything is cyclical and balance should be maintained.  I believe that there
<will always be "good" and "evil", or "good" and "bad".  But a balance must
<be maintained between them.  To me, life is all about the struggle to maintain
<the balance.  It is very rarely in balance, but ceaselessly strives to
<reach equilibrium.

	try Vedas. there is no need to boggle your mind like that. [since,
higher authority is a must to learn the truth. you can not get self realization
by yourself. this is a proven fact.]

<Can anyone help me here?  Can you see what I'm driving at?

	yes. one can see the path which you want to follow. that's the path
of finding Truth. [ Lord Budhha also did that though his philoshopy is
different than Vedas in some respect.]

< I would appreciate
<any help as I'd rather not read every book on philosophy or religion just
<to find the one that best suits my needs and perspectives.  I realize that
<I will not find one that exactly the way I think, but close is good enough
<for me.

	you won't be dissaponted by Vedas. They are not close. THEY ARE
PERFECT. your experiment will prove for yourself. i don't have to tell you
that you will be very happy with your moral understanding - 'cause you
will undersatnd by yourself.

<I'm tired of just saying I'm an atheist.

	you will find out- the true path.

< I'd like to be able to generally
<describe my way of thinking about life and existance by just saying "I'm a
<such and such."  Saying that you are an atheist only describes one small
<part of what you believe.

	yes. thats right again. saying is not what you feel from inside.
the way your nature has been designed is to help you understand yourself
, the world, the universe, the infinite [God(yet to be discovered by you)],
the othert universes, and etc....

	so saying and feeling is two different things - as you have said.

<Thanx for any help.  I would appreciate it.

	no need to thank. the duty is to help. [since all men are equal]
i hope you will understand the Vedas as it is - with no doubts in your mind
having finished it.

<-- Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
<6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
<UUCP: {fedeva,chromc}!dynasys!jessea

Shanti!

			rajeev k. yadav
			rky8144@njitx.njit.edu

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (07/23/90)

In article <1302@idunno.Princeton.EDU> rky8144@njitx.njit.edu writes:

>	being Hindu, i can tell you that the Vaisnav Philosophy of ancient
>India [Vedas] are capable of answering any questions [i repeat, any question]
>you have. take a look at them.

Many, many westerners have also found this out. The Vedic scriptures
are the oldest known, much older than the bible. And the Vedas are
spanning a much wider range the the bible. It spans not over just one
religion, it covers many, and over moral questions, philosophy, even
architecture, language, etc. etc.
Because the Vedic scripture externally seems to propagate different
religions, hinduism has gotten the name of beeing polytheistic. But
that is not actually true.

By studying Vaisnava philosophy, you will not be limited to one
philosophy. Vaisnavas, by tradition, are experts in all parts of
philosopy, and religion. So by studying this, you will understand the
basis of other religions very clearly, you will understand the meaning
of atheism, and theism. You will also get a deep knowledge about the
psychology of the human beeing. Why humans act as they act.
You will also find answer to questions like, why is there violence and
war, what is life and death, what are animals, and does there exist
other life-forms higher than human beeings.

I can warmly recommend studying of the Vedic Vaisnava scriptures. It
does not matter if you are christian, or atheist, or scientist. There
is something for everyone there. They will not change your faith, or
religion, unless you want to. And if you have none, it will give you
one.

How do I find the Vedic litteratures?

You are lucky. Nowadays the Vaisnava faith is spreading all over the
world, so you don't need to go to india to find it.
This is all due to some excellent translations of the major vaisnava
litterature to english made by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, who devoted
his life to this task. He have translated some books in a language
understandable of persons living in this world today.
some titles: Sri Isopanishad, Bhagavad-gita as it is, Srimad-Bhagavatam,
Sri Caitanya Caritamrita (the first one is the easiest to understand,
the last the hardest)
Note that these translations (by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami) is made by
an authorized follower of the philosophy, and thus are highly accurate in
translation. This is confirmed by many sanskrit university professor,
and indologists.

(note: "Veda" is sanskrit and means "Knowledge")

To: banerjee@jalapeno.UCDavis.edu
Subject: Re: Review books for FLEX and ECFMG
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian,sci.med
Bcc:

gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap - UCI - 5-3929) (07/23/90)

In article <1302@idunno.Princeton.EDU> rky8144@njitx.njit.edu writes:
><I believe that people need some sort of foundation for their morals to stand
><on.
><So, basically, I'm looking for some helpful hints on where to look for
><moral guidance.  I'm not asking for you to try to convert me or teach me
><how your particular religion/philosophy works.  I'm asking for pointers
><on reading material on other such helpful hints.
><I'm not quite sure, but I think I may be looking more for a philosophy than
><a religion.  I don't really care for mysticism or such things as that.

Well, I was getting ready to say you might want to look into Taoism.
Unfortunately, it involves mysticism.  I have never been much of one for
mysticism but I have found Taoism to be an incredibly rewarding philosophy.

Nonetheless, I'd suggest _The_Tao_of_Pooh_ by Benjamen Hoff (Penguin Books).
It's a fun and humorous book, so I think you would probably like it even if
you end up concluding that Taoism is too "mystical".

Hope this helps,

Brian R. Gilstrap
gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com
gilstrap@swbatl.swbt.com
gilstrap@swbatl.uucp
...!{texbell,uunet}!swbatl!gilstrap
"You spend your whole life just piling it up there.  You got stacks and stacks
and stacks.  Then Gabriel comes and taps you on the shoulder, but you don't see
no hearses with luggage racks."
                             --- Don Henley
Copyright (c) 1990 by Brian R. Gilstrap.  You may redistribute (my portions of)
this material for free if and only if your recipients may also do so.

roderic@vicom.com (Roderic Taylor) (07/25/90)

In <1211@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, Mike Taylor writes:

> Maybe I try too hard to understand Zen.  "I have nothing to teach you
> about Zen", "keep the beginner's mind", and "if you see the Buddha, you
> must kill him" are the types of phrases that keep coming up.  It seems
> very elusive and meant to be that way.

   The first "eastern" religious writer I read seriously was Krishnamurti.
He is not specifically Buddhist, but I think he teaches the same things
the Zen Masters did.  Only his approach is comparitively analytical;
there are no paradoxical conundrums or koans.  Still, not easy reading.

   I also recommend the sermons of Bankei.  He was a zen teacher who would
give talks to thousands of people at a time.  Since he wasn't just teaching
to people who had given up their lives to become monks, but to lay people
from all sorts of backgrounds, his talks are unusually accesible.
   The book "Bankei Zen-- Translations From the Record of Bankei", by Peter
Haskel, is an excellent translation of Bankei's words.

                                                 --Roderic T

lefty@TWG.COM (David N. Schlesinger) (07/25/90)

In article <1263@idunno.Princeton.EDU> cak0l@surya.cs.Virginia.EDU
(Christopher A. Koeritz) writes:
> >Mabey I try too hard to understand Zen.  "I have nothing to teach you
> >about Zen", "keep the beginner's mind", and "if you see the Buddha, you
> >must kill him" are the types of phrases that keep coming up.  It seems
> >very elusive and meant to be that way.
>
> i do know one thing-- if people think the expression, "if you see the
> Buddha, you must kill him" is not meant for people to hurt Buddhas.
> that literal action would be one of those seven(?) heinous crimes that
> are supposed to keep one in one or another hell a very long time.
> unfortunately, my understanding does not extend to this sphere,
> although at one point someone told me that if you think you see the
> buddha, kill the conception that you are seeing him.  you are not
> really seeing him, as he really is, for perceptions are flawed at the
> root.  if the fact that you think you have seen the buddha is afflicting
> your mind, kill the thought.  this extends to parents and friends and
> anyone or anything else.  but like i said, i don't really understand it.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" is one of those classical
Zen sayings that can cause people who take it literally a lot of trouble.
The point of the saying, as I understand it, is that the Buddha is _you_;
if you're looking for external buddhas to help you out of suffering,
you're barking up the wrong tree.  Reliance on a buddha other than your
own buddha-nature is a snare, and must be avoided to make progress.
Excessive focus on buddhas, or on enlightenment can block your progress;
even the idea of "progress" can block your progress.

One of my favorite stories:  A zen monk has been sitting in the zendo,
meditating, for days and days.  The roshi walks in, watches him for a
while, and asks: "Why are you sitting there like that?"  "I'm trying to
become a buddha," the monk replies.

On hearing this, the roshi picks up a tile from the floor and starts
scraping against a rock, making an incredible noise.  The monk jumps up
and says, "Why are you _doing_ that!?"  The roshi replies, "I'm trying to
make a mirror."  Totally exasperated, the monk says, "No matter how long
you scrape that tile against that stone, you'll never make a mirror out of
it!"  "No matter how long you sit there with your legs crossed," responds
the roshi, "you'll never make a buddha out of yourself!"

|           David N. Schlesinger || "When I have nothing to say,       |
|           The Wollongong Group ||  my lips are sealed;               |
| Internet: Lefty@twg.com        ||  say something once,               |
|    DoD #: 0152                 ||  why say it again?" -- David Byrne |