[soc.religion.eastern] INFO? Vedas

walsh@uunet.UU.NET (07/23/90)

Since someone on the net has suggested the Vedas as a spiritual path,
let me ask a few questions, since Indian philosophy strikes me as
complex.

What are the Vedas. Do they include the Bhagavad Gita? If so, what
else?

How are the Vedas connected with Yoga? Would all yogis accept the Vedas,
or does it depend on who you talk to?

Are there any good introductory books on Vedic philosophy you would
recommend?

The indian medical system that's becoming popular - aryuveda (sp?),
is this connected?

	thanks
	ando

hks@bbt.se (Harikesa Swami) (07/25/90)

.UU.NET writes:
>Since someone on the net has suggested the Vedas as a spiritual path,
>let me ask a few questions, since Indian philosophy strikes me as
>complex.
>
>What are the Vedas. Do they include the Bhagavad Gita? If so, what
>else?

Veda means knowledge.  Actually the Veda is eternal as knowledge in its
pure form is eternal.  Originally it was emanating  from the breathing of
the Supreme Person, Narayan (veda narayana saksat). The veda has two
categories of knowledge, sruti and smrti.  Sruti means that which is heard
and smrti means that which is written down.  Originally the  veda was not
written down because formerly people had a much greater capacity to
remember than they do today.  The knowledge of the veda was passed down
generation after generation by a disciplic succession of spiritual masters
and disciples.  Originally the veda was one, but later on, for clarity, it
was divided into four parts called the Rk, Sama, Yajur, and Atharva veda.
About 5000 years ago, just before the beginning of the present age, called
Kali yuga, Vyasadeva, the authorized editor of the vedas, started writing
down this vedic knowledge for the benefit of people who had a shortened
memory capacity.  After he completed the original four vedas, he also
compiled the great epic Mahabharata which is known as the fifth veda
(pancamah veda).  The famous book, Bhagavad gita, is actually 18 chapters
from the middle of the Mahabharata, and it is also known as veda (Gitopani-
sad).  After the Mahabharata was compiled then came the Puranas, the
itihasas, and the other supplementary vedic texts.  The veda is a vast body
of knowledge without compare in this world.  The Mahabharata alone is
200,000 verses.

>How are the Vedas connected with Yoga? Would all yogis accept the Vedas,
> or does it depend on who you talk to?

All yogic systems which are bona-fide, as opposed to those which are recent
concoctions of fertile imaginations, originally are revealed in the veda.
There are different types of yoga, ranging from Karma yoga (the science of
fruitive work) to Jnana yoga (the science of mental speculation) and
Astanga or Dhyana yoga (the mechanical yoga systems which include the
modern systems of hatha yoga, kundalini yoga, raja yoga and the like).  Any
yogi coming from one of these more or less bona fide groups will accept the
vedic knowledge since their yogic system comes from the veda.  You will
also find in the Bhagavad gita a brief synopsis of all the yogic systems in
Chapters 3,4,5, and 6.  The conclusion of the Bhagavad gita is bhakti yoga
or the science of devotional service to the Supreme Person, Krsna.

>Are there any good introductory books on Vedic philosophy you would
>recommend?

Certainly there are very good books available.  I would recommend the
editions of the Bhaktivedanta Book Trust [BBT](3674 Watseka Ave., Los
Angeles California 90034 USA) as they are clear and concise editions
praised by scholars and professors world wide.  The best introductory book
on the vedic knowledge is part of the veda itself, the Bhagavad gita (as
you have mentioned).  The Bhagavad gita is considered the A-B-C's of
spiritual life and the BBT edition of 'The Bhagavad Gita As It Is' presents
this knowledge according to the mature realization of one of the world's
greatest vedic scholars, His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prab-
hupada.  There is a new edition of this book available which should
absolutely not be missed.

If you want to know something of the controversy surrounding the veda
(created by some indologists during the British period in India) then order
'Readings in Vedic Literature [The Tradition Speaks for Itself]' by
Satsvarupa das Gosvami.  It is very absorbing.  It is also available from
the BBT.

>The indian medical system that's becoming popular - aryuveda (sp?),
>is this connected?

The veda also has four supplementary divisions of literatures [upaveda].
Ayurveda [Ayuh means life and veda means knowledge] is one of these four.
Further there is the Sthapatyam veda (the science of engineering and
architecture), Dhanur veda (the science of weaponry and war), and Jyotir
veda (the science of astronomy and astrology).  So, to answer your question
once again, the Ayurveda is definitely an important part of the vedic
knowledge.  The philosophy behind this is that without a strong and healthy
body you cannot use this valuable human form of life for self realization.

Athato brahma jijnasa -- 'Now, therefore, find out what is Brahman.'  Now
that you have this valuable human form of life, use it to study what is the
nature of the spirit, and come to the platform of self realization, tamasi
ma jyotir gama.  We are not our bodies, but we are pure spirit souls.  The
veda teaches us to realize what we are and act on that platform through
transcendental service to the Supreme.

I hope this helped you and I hope this meets you well.

Your servant, Harikesa Swami
              c/o Northern Europe BBT
              Korsnas Gard
              14792 Grodinge