%	The tao that can be told
%	is not the eternal Tao.
%	The name that can be named
%	is not the eternal Name.
%
%	The unnamable is the eternally real.
%	Naming is the origin
%	of all particular things.

How about a discussion of what this means - as far as we're able to talk about
the unnamable, that is.

Kevin.Knight@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/15/90)

I'd like to find out more about the practice of Taoism versus its writings
(such as Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu).  Certainly Christianity as practiced
bears a strange relationship to what you find in the Bible, and I imagine
Taoist practice deviates significantly from the very old core writings.  I
guess another way of putting it is: how organized is Taoism, in the sense of
organized religion?

If anyone has any knowledge of this area, or knows any good references, let
me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com (3929) (03/16/90)

In article <14554@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> aloise@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jim Aloise) writes:
>In article <14530@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ciula@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kim Ciula) writes:
>%
>%	The tao that can be told
>%	is not the eternal Tao.
>%	The name that can be named
>%	is not the eternal Name.
>%
>%	The unnamable is the eternally real.
>%	Naming is the origin
>%	of all particular things.
>

>How about a discussion of what this means - as far as we're able to talk about
>the unnamable, that is.

First my disclaimer: I don't have a great deal of scholarly background in
Taoism.  I have read a couple of books, and talked with some folks, but my
exposure is certainly colloquial.

To me, the above means pretty much the following:

When we try to reduce everything about "living" into words, there are vast
portions of the experience which cannot be captured.  Thus, you end up with an
incredibly abbreviated version of the experience, which is therefore
innaccurate almost to the point of being meaningless.

This all sounds rather dry and stuffy but, for me at least, part of the joy of
Taoism is how much *fun* life becomes.

Brian R. Gilstrap
uucibg@swbatl.uucp OR ...!{ texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg

bridean@kentvax.kent.edu (Brian Dean) (03/16/90)

  As far as I know, Taoism is not to organized of a religion.
You don't have a direct line of successors like you do in
Buddhism or Christianity which has the distinct disadvantage
that the teachings of Taoism weren't passed down in any form
as unperverted as we have in Buddhism and Christianity (not
that these two aren't perverted from the original form, just
that these religions are less perverted).  So actually, there
is a very wide disagreement among scholars as to exactly what
the early Taoists believed.  As far as the teachings of Taoism
that you get in various books, these are more often than not
the authors own opinion and it is possible that Lao Tzu (assuming
he was a real person, which scholars don't know for sure about)
would disagree with everything everybody says about Taoism at
one level or another.  But since we don't know, we can't say
for sure about these types of things.
  I practiced zen buddhism (with a mixture of Jodo Shinshu) for
about three years, but I quit out of dissatisfaction.  I am now
in the process of becoming an orthodox catholic although I still
have great respect for the eastern traditions.  I would still like
to learn more about the spirituality of the religion that I left
along with other eastern religions under the understanding that
I can no longer practice such traditions.
  How do you people react to this?

- Brian M. Dean -

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/18/90)

In <14554@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> aloise@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jim Aloise) writes:
>How about a discussion of what this means - as far as we're able to talk about
>the unnamable, that is.

It must be experienced to be understood.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Start with the sun, and everything will slowly, slowly happen.  - D.H.Lawrence

klm@cme.nist.gov (Ken Manheimer) (03/19/90)

The net is amazing.  Taoism is such an elusive topic.  It's very nice
to have an opportunity to compare with some interested people things
we've noticed.

And speaking of elusive,

I've been fascinated for as long as i can recall with apparent
inevitability of inexactitude with which we seem to formally be
acquainted with the universe.  It seems like we *can't* know anything
absolutely.  Yet at the same time there does seem to be some beguiling
correspondence, some internal corroboration, between what we know and
some universe that's out t/here.  It seems to me that Taoism is a lot
about ways to develop the ability to be involved with the real and
human reality and reduce the ways we are diverted by inessential or
misleading avenues and byways...

I think that people seek religions in order to reconcile discrepancies
and lacks in the world models that are products of peoples rigorous
rational endeavors, particularly in how those world models relate,
or fail to relate, to both the larger and smaller aspects of people's
personal, more immediate concerns.  Ie, not just what is the world,
but how can we live with it better?

I believe that what we can explicitly say is less than what we can
know, and what we can know is less than what we are prone to
(consciously) apprehend, and what we tend to consciously apprehend is
(very likely) less than what's out t/here.  I think Taosism says that
in a way we really do apprehend everything, but there is an art to
integrating it, to cooperating or collaborating with reality.  I think
Taoism (and many offshoots and alternatives, one way or another)
suggests that there's an art to participating more fully in the world,
and that the key to honing these intuitive and rational sensibilities,
to getting them in tune with the world, is in increasing the degree to
which we aim for participating in our situations at any and every
moment.  Further, that developing this encompassing participation is
the key to reconciling one's misgivings and mistakings in the
world....

Sweet.

 "Confucious said, 'Your will must be one.  Do not listen with your
  ears but with your mind.  Do not listen with your mind but with your
  vital energy.  Ears can only hear, mind can only think, but vital
  energy is empty, receptive to all things.  Tao abides in emptiness.
  Emptiness is the fasting of mind.'"  - Chuang Tsu inner chapters,
					 trans. Gia-Fu-Feng and Jane English

Stink u smelly mulch,

ken.

(I won't be able to follow this discussion for a few weeks, i'm
supposed to be leaving for two weeks of vacation (will in a moment,
thanks)...  Cheers.)

stephen@bpa.bell-atl.com (Stephen C. Arnold) (03/19/90)

Does anyone have a public domain copy of the Dao De Jing (or however you spell
it in English) and if they do, could it be put on the net?

Thanks

Steve

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (03/19/90)

There are three facets of Taoism to consider:

  1) Taoism as it is presented by original scripture (Lao Tzu, etc)
  2) Taoism as it is currently practiced in China
  3) Self-styled western `Taoists' who have read (1) but don't know
     anything about (2)

I believe (2) is a lot more complex than (1).  There is a fair amount
of ritual, relationships with spirits, magic kinds of things, etc.
It doesn't have the pristine simplicity of (1).

It's naive of Westerners to think that Taoism could retain its purity
any more than Christianity (wrt to being a direct expression of
the scriptures).  Also, (1) is such an anarchic system, it would be
difficult for real `schools' to remain true to it.

If anyone's interested, there is a vegetarian Chinese Restaurant
in San Fransisco's China Town, which is run by traditional Chinese
Taoists.  There is a Taoist temple upstairs.  When I ate there, there
was a death ceremony going on, with lots of incense and gongs and
embroidered robes. . .

   -andrew
    alms@cambridge.apple.com

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (03/20/90)

I liked your discussion of the Tao, how to discuss it (or not!) and live
with it, Ken.  And I liked your signature, "..stink you smelly mulch!"
...You didn't happen to do any landscaping when you were younger, did you?
:)
Jeff Stern.
/                                                                       \
|  jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu               72647.1527@compuserve.com     |
|     After considering the great outlay of development assistance pro- |
|  vided by the state, the cave-dwellers decided to return to their     |
|  cave.  They reasoned: "If the government was willing to spend so     |
|  much money to bring us out of the cave, there must be something of   |
|  value in it."                                                        |
|  --Anthropology Newsletter, on the Chinese cave-dwelling Miao/Hmong.  |
\_______________________________________________________________________/

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (03/21/90)

In article <14593@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bridean@kentvax.kent.edu (Brian Dean) writes:

> have great respect for the eastern traditions.  I would still like
> to learn more about the spirituality of the religion that I left
> along with other eastern religions under the understanding that
> I can no longer practice such traditions.
>   How do you people react to this?

Your choice of religion is entirely in your hands. At least you made
the decision (which is not written in stone, probably) after looking
at alternatives. Unlike so many who do not even get the chance to
choose.

How do you reconcile the "rules and regulations" of Catholicism with
the world view that you formerly held as a result of your exposure to
buddhism? Is there a way of integrating the two worlds?

Curious,

			---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112 |
| Internet: kayvan@{mrspoc.Transact.com, eris.berkeley.edu, molto.ig.com}   |

rsp@PacBell.COM (Steve Price) (03/21/90)

In article <14593@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bridean@kentvax.kent.edu (Brian Dean) writes:

>  I practiced zen buddhism (with a mixture of Jodo Shinshu) for
>about three years, but I quit out of dissatisfaction.  I am now
>in the process of becoming an orthodox catholic although I still
>have great respect for the eastern traditions.  I would still like
>to learn more about the spirituality of the religion that I left
>along with other eastern religions under the understanding that
>I can no longer practice such traditions.
>  How do you people react to this?

I'd like to know more about your "dissatisfaction."

My reaction:

(First a bit of personal background as context...)

I have read a lot on Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism in texts on comparative
religions and in books by Suzuki, Christmas Humphreys, Alan Watts, etc.
I was raised as a Seventh-day Adventist (a strict Protestant group) and
taught English at SDA high schools and colleges until I was 30.  Then I
became an Episcopalian.  That was almost 9 years ago.  Since then I find
myself more and more drawn to a blend of "orthodox catholic" spirituality
and Buddhist insights.  My priest encourages me in this path.  In fact,
during Lent this year my parish is sponsoring a 5 week series of meetings
on the topic of eastern religious insights.  2 weeks ago we were lead in
Hindu hymns by a local Hindu devotee who has dedicated her life to the
Bahki Path (sorry if I spell incorrectly -- I'm not much of a speller
in English, forget about Sanskrit!).  Next week we will hear from a
Buddhist on Zen Medition.

What all this has done for me is to build a great respect for the insights
and brilliance of Eastern systems, while at the same time showing me that
the catholic tradition also contains pointers to the same values.  I am
more than ever convinced that inspite of the very real differences between
us and our religious forms, we are ONE human family.

I find that the prayers, liturgies, myths, rituals, and hymns of catholic
Christianity speaking deeply to me of the same sense of wonder and mystery
of Being that Zen, Tao and Hindu masters point to.  I think that each
Path is very mixed up in the traditions and cultures of the people in
which the Traditions arose, and for me, I am glad that my spiritual yearnings
can be met by a spiritual tradition from my own culture (since I don't
really want to learn Sanskrit, Japanese, Indian or Chinese - or even Latin,
for that matter.)

--
Steve Price 		UNIX: pacbell!pbhyf!rsp		PHONE: (415)823-1951

...argument does not teach children or the immature.
   Only time and experience does that.			Doris Lessing

kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin William Ryan) (07/11/90)

   I am interested in Taoism, from what I have heard of it, but I am
lacking in knowledge of good texts. The best I've read so far is 'The
Tao Of Pooh', which is certainly interesting but just as certainly one
man's interpretation. Can anyone point me at good reading on this topic?

                                                    kwr

Internet: kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu

MMAC@vax.oxford.ac.uk (The_Edible_Dormouse) (07/26/90)

Just a brief note---"The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff is most certainly an
entertaining boiok but is sadly marred by Hoff's somewhat bizarre (and, I am
afriad to say, egotistical) view of Taoism. It is nowhere near so strictly
anti-intellectual as he makes out and I find it very appealing as a simple
moral philosophy without having to take on baord any of the mysticism. I am, by
profession,  a scientist who does not accept mysticism very readily yet many of
my friends call me a Taoist (I don't use the label, but I try to avoid them...)

Read the Tao te Ching and translations of Chuang Tzu, also many other good
books on the subject and *make your own mind up*.

May I quote a little Toaist tale? Thanks :-)

Studrnt has been debating philosophy with his master for an hour or so. The
master has run rings round the student, quoting texts, history, people as
examples and countering the student's every argument. In despair the student
says:
S> But master, you are meant to be wise not argumentative
to which the master replies
M> Right now, I feel like having an argument.

Live free.

Edi

MMAC@UK.AC.OX.VAX (Janet)		  = The opinions expressed above are
MMAC%VAX.OX.AC.UK@UKACRL.BITNET (Bitnet)  = not necessarily those of any person
MMAC%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK	  = living, dead, undead or the subject
	(Internet)			  = of a Schrodinger's cat experiment.
"Trust me I'm a Physicist !" (DoD #162)	  = They may or may not be my own.