[soc.religion.eastern] Buddhist offerings

keb@cs.brown.edu (Kristin E. Brown) (07/19/90)

recently there was a posting on the four offerings of water food light and
incense.  i was curious as to whether there was a particular time or day that
these offerings were given. also i would be curious to know what the
regularity of these offerings was.
thanx!
keb

"Those who want to be better than the rest
 have to suffer more."

sondra@lzsc.ATT.COM (Sondra Menthers) (07/25/90)

In article <1301@idunno.Princeton.EDU> keb@cs.brown.edu (Kristin E. Brown) writes:
k>recently there was a posting on the four offerings of water food light and
k>incense.  i was curious as to whether there was a particular time or day that
k>these offerings were given. also i would be curious to know what the
k>regularity of these offerings was.

Don't know about other sects, but our sect offers water every
morning, and offers incense and light each time we pray
(usually twice a day) and we change the food whenever it
starts to spoil.

k>keb

--
***Sondra - mother of Sabrina and kicking fetus****
I would personally impose a totalitarian state even if I could.

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (08/15/90)

In <1412@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sondra@lzsc.ATT.COM (Sondra Menthers) writes:

>In article <1301@idunno.Princeton.EDU> keb@cs.brown.edu (Kristin E. Brown) writes:
>k>recently there was a posting on the four offerings of water food light and
>k>incense.  i was curious as to whether there was a particular time or day that
>k>these offerings were given. also i would be curious to know what the
>k>regularity of these offerings was.

>Don't know about other sects, but our sect offers water every
>morning, and offers incense and light each time we pray
>(usually twice a day) and we change the food whenever it
>starts to spoil.

In Nichiren Shoshu, the water is changed in the morning, candles (light) and
incense are offered whenever one prays, and also greens are also offered
signifying eternal life. I offer the food as soon as I get home from buying
it.

--
   Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
            Respectfully,