[soc.religion.eastern] Zen Books

roderic@vicom.com (Roderic Taylor) (03/19/90)

   Tom Simmonds (simmonds@demon.siemens.com) writes:
=I have done extensive reading on the topic of Zen.  Here is a list of some
=of my favorite books on zen.  All are/were available in paperback.

   I would like to add my favorite Zen book to the list:

               Bankei Zen:
                  Translations from the record of Bankei
                        --by Peter Haskel

   Bankei is unique among the zen masters of old in that he regularly
preached to large crowds of ordinary people (as opposed to monks
in monasteries).  As a result, his writings are relatively approachable
for someone who knows nothing of zen or Buddhism.

                                                    --Roderic T

                               ------------------------------
                               | All the Buddhas
                               | and all sentient beings
                               | are nothing but the One Mind,
                               | beside which nothing exists.
                                   --from the Zen Teachings of Huang Po

AWHJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Tom Fredericks) (10/16/90)

  I'm looking for a really good book on Zen.  There are scores of them out
there.  Can anyone recommend an outstanding Zen book?

  - Tom Fredericks
    Ithaca, New York

tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.053102.5066@nas.nasa.gov> AWHJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:

>  I'm looking for a really good book on Zen.  There are scores of them out
>there.  Can anyone recommend an outstanding Zen book?
>
>  - Tom Fredericks
>    Ithaca, New York

Gosh there ARE so many aren't there. So here are some:

BY THICH NHAT HAHN
--------------------
Being Peace
The Sun My Heart
The Miracle of Mindfullness

Zen And The Art Of Motercycle Mantenance (sp?) - Robert Persig

Nine Headed Dragon River - Peter Mathessin (sp?)

Mind of Clover - Robert Aitkin

A Second Zen Reader - Leggit

BY D.T. Suzuki
---------------
Zen and Japanese Culture
Essays on Zen Budhism
A Zen Manual
Zen Awakening

Cloud Hidden Whereabouts Unknown (and many other books) - Alan Watts

That should do ya for starters. Lots more where that came from.

Also Check out Roshi Phillip Kapleau (sp?) From Rochester NY.
Three Pillars of Zen
Zen; Dawn In The West
The Wheel of Life and Death
Each Life Is Precious (I think thats the name, about vegitarianism)
Dave Tilley

Dave Tilley 	cs.rochester.edu

david@star2.cm.utexas.edu (David Sigeti) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.053102.5066@nas.nasa.gov>,
AWHJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:

     I'm looking for a really good book on Zen.  There are scores of them out
   there.  Can anyone recommend an outstanding Zen book?

     - Tom Fredericks
       Ithaca, New York

I recommend "The Iron Cow of Zen" by Albert Low.  It's a serious (and
partially successful, I think) attempt to get at the *human* meaning
of the classic koans.  Quite surprising for people who have been led
to believe that the koans are somehow supposed to be mind-boggling
nonesense.  Don't worry, it doesn't "answer" the koans for you---you
can still do zazen on them.
--
David Sigeti    david@star2.cm.utexas.edu    cmhl265@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu

ramanath@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J Ramanathan) (10/17/90)

AWHJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:

>  I'm looking for a really good book on Zen.  There are scores of them out
>there.  Can anyone recommend an outstanding Zen book?

I've always enjoyed reading books by Rajneesh (yep, the much-maligned
"Bhagwan"), so I'll recommend any book by him on the topic.  In particular,
I'd suggest the following books:

1. Zen: The Path of Paradox (this is a 3-volume set)

2. This Very Body the Buddha: Hakuin's Song of Meditation

There are tons more, but these will be enough for a start.  I've found
his style of presentation so refreshingly enjoyable.  Please note that
almost all his books are based on discourses he gave, so tend to be pretty
informal in format.

-jayaram
--
Jayaram Ramanathan
ramanath@unix.cis.pitt.edu

mayne@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (William (Bill) Mayne) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.041532.27945@nas.nasa.gov> tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) writes:
[several book recommendations omitted]
>Also Check out Roshi Phillip Kapleau (sp?) From Rochester NY.
>Three Pillars of Zen
>Zen; Dawn In The West
>The Wheel of Life and Death
>Each Life Is Precious (I think thats the name, about vegitarianism)
>Dave Tilley

The actual title of the last one, about vegetarianism, is actually
"To Cherish All Life". This is taken from Kapleau's version of the
precepts (from "Zen: Dawn in the West", I think). In his version
he adds a positive aspect to the traditional prohibition for each
precept. Thus the first precept becomes "Not to kill, but to cherish
all life."

It is a good book, though as Dave Tilley says it is about vegetarianism,
with emphasis on the moral considerations from a Buddhist perspective.
It has relatively little about Zen per se.

Also worth reading, and I think not on Dave's list, is "Zen Mind,
Beginner's Mind" by S. Suzuki.

Bill Mayne
Florida State University
mayne@nu.cs.fsu.edu

courtney@inmet.inmet.com (10/18/90)

I am no expert in Zen but people I respect a lot have told me that
the book "Zen mind Beginners Mind" by Suzuki Roshi is considered a
classic.

dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Dave Gross) (10/21/90)

There's also "Zen Flesh; Zen Bones" (I forget the author) that is short on
analysis, but has enough "zenny" anecdotes to make your mind roll.  Also, to
see where it all began, you can look for "The Sixth Patriarch's Sutra," which
for several people, was the "last straw" that made them decide on Buddhism.

--
<^><v><^><v><^><v><^><v>-  dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  -<v><^><v><^><v><^><v><^>
The Buddhadharma is subtle, wonderful and difficult to measure.  All words and

tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct18.061252.19494@nas.nasa.gov> mayne@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (William (Bill) Mayne) writes:

>In article <1990Oct17.041532.27945@nas.nasa.gov> tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) writes:
>[several book recommendations omitted]
>>Also Check out Roshi Phillip Kapleau (sp?) From Rochester NY.
>>Three Pillars of Zen
>>Zen; Dawn In The West
>>The Wheel of Life and Death
>>Each Life Is Precious (I think thats the name, about vegitarianism)
>>Dave Tilley
>
>The actual title of the last one, about vegetarianism, is actually
>"To Cherish All Life". This is taken from Kapleau's version of the
>precepts (from "Zen: Dawn in the West", I think). In his version
>he adds a positive aspect to the traditional prohibition for each
>precept. Thus the first precept becomes "Not to kill, but to cherish
>all life."
>
>It is a good book, though as Dave Tilley says it is about vegetarianism,
>with emphasis on the moral considerations from a Buddhist perspective.
>It has relatively little about Zen per se.
>
>Also worth reading, and I think not on Dave's list, is "Zen Mind,
>Beginner's Mind" by S. Suzuki.
>
>Bill Mayne
>Florida State University
>mayne@nu.cs.fsu.edu

Ah yes! "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind", is a very nice book as well. The list
of books goes on and on. This was one of my first books about Zen.

This week I read "The Unfettered Mind". It is a translation of 3 letters from
a Zen Master (Takuan Soho) to a Sward Master (Miyamoto Musashi).

Great Book (Trans. William Scott Wilson, Pub. Kodansha International)

ISBN 0-87011-851-X

Dave

Dave Tilley 	cs.rochester.edu

dadler@milton.u.washington.edu (David Adler) (10/22/90)

One of my favorites:
	"Zen Flesh, Zen Bones"
Compiled by Paul Reps, with Nyogen Senzaki
Doubleday Anchor Book
This one was so tasty that one of my dogs
chewed on its corner.

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (10/24/90)

	(Tom Fredericks) writes:

> I'm looking for a really good book on Zen.  There are scores of them out
> there.  Can anyone recommend an outstanding Zen book?

A few days ago I received a new catalogue in the mail from North Point Press.

It advertises "Savings from 10% to 75% on Selected Titles in Zen Buddhism
and Asian Literature in Translation."

Readers of this newsgroup might care to write for a copy of the sale
catalogue:

	North Point Press
	850 Talbot Avenue
	Berkeley, CA 94706

There's a phone number listed for "purchasing premiums or bulk quantities:"

	415-527-6260.

The "Special Offer" sale runs through 30 November.

All North Point books are printed on acid-free paper and have sewn bindings.

I have no association with this company, and had not even been aware of
their existence prior to receiving this item in the mail.

--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst